1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Large White Turkeys Able to Eat tomato plants

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Devunisaacs, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Devunisaacs

Devunisaacs Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    I have five Large white turkeys, I also have a garden and some of my tomato plants have died and I would like to give my turkeys the plants, is it ok for them to eat them?

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    While tomatoes are fine to feed the turkeys, the plants are toxic. I have never seen my turkeys eat tomato plants which is good because they are toxic to most animals.

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tomato plants being toxic falls into the "mostly myth" category. We originally thought tomato leaves had large amounts of solanine in them like potato, and wild nightshade leaves. It turns out they're much more like peppers - and have almost none. They produce a different glycoalkalod - tomatine.

Heres what wiki says about tomatine toxicity:

Quote: Don't worry about tomato plants. Unless you're injecting tomato plant slurry into your birds.

4. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I am not disputing you but personally I do not trust Wikipedia as a source since anyone can post the information that is there. There has been lots of false information posted on Wikipedia. If you have a trusted source for this information please post it.

As I stated I have never seen my turkeys eat tomato plants. I trust their judgement over anything posted on Wikipedia.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkeys won't eat tomato plants, so no use trying to feed them. On another note my donkeys love eating tomato plants and they are still kicking.

6. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I have watched deer eat tomato plants without any ill effects.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Apparently they are tasty.

8. CrazyTalk

Jun 10, 2014
    There are dozens of references, and links to studies on the Wikipedia page I linked you. Wikipedia isn't a good source for a research paper, but it's a fantastic place to start.

Also, the idea that "anyone" can post to wikipedia is false - that hasn't been true for almost a decade now. You need to be credentialed to post to a science article, and your edits pass through a peer review process.

9. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I have personally seen enough false information on Wikipedia that I would never use it as a reference. You are welcome to believe what you want to believe. I do recommend that if you have a trustable source you should post that instead of Wikipedia.

10. CrazyTalk

Jun 10, 2014

[​IMG]

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by