Are last 2 eggs alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tsbonin, Aug 26, 2010.

1. tsbonin

tsbonin In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    Locked down 10 eggs at day19. So far 8 have hatched. Have 2 eggs left but not seeing movement. One egg is fairly large and has a air pocket but can't tell any movement- just dark. The other egg has air pocket at the little end. I know the first 3 chicks to hatch moved around alot and moved the other eggs some. Should I just wait or does the lack of movement and sound mean they didn't make it? How long past 21 days can an egg go before hatching? I have read up to day 26 but seems most say by day 21. Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I usually wait to day 25.

Sandie

3. puredelite

puredelite Songster

I usually give them 'til day 23 but if you can't wait then put some fairly warm water in a bowl and when the water settles some then float the eggs and if there is anything alive inside it will start rockin' & rollin' in no time at all. Works everytime and the extra moisture probably helps the hopefully live chick to hatch .

4. tsbonin

tsbonin In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    Tried the water test. The bigger egg didn't move/half float only. We cracked it and found it had two under developed chicks inside. They looked like had stopped developing some time back. The other egg floated a circle but no real movement the second time. Just a light water type bob. Not sure if we should be done with this one or not. I'm just not sure if I'm doing this right or not. If it wasn't for the smell in the incubator today I wouldn't mind waiting longer. Any other ideas before I open this last egg? The other 8 chicks are beautiful and healthy so we've been blessed.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by