1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Layer Pellets Bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EngieKisses, Aug 26, 2008.

1. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    We feed our adult chickens layer pellets, and the younger crowd get grower crumbles. However, my aunt just got on to me about feeding my adult chickens the pellets. She said that they should be on layer crumbles because there is something added to the pellets when they are made that can be damaging to your chickens. I thought the crumbles were just crumbled pellets, meaning the same thing. She has had chickens most of her life. Has anyone else heard of this? Is there any grounds for this thinking?
    Stephanie

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. sfcityfarmer

sfcityfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    My understanding is the pellets and crumbles are the same thing, the crumbles just being broken pellets.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I was told that the crumbles & pellets are exactly the same formulation in each variety (grower crumbles / pellets, layer crumbles/pellets, etc.) The only difference is that once the food is processed, it is either formed into pellets or if crumbles are desired, the pellets are then crumbled back into small pieces. Hope that answers your question. [​IMG]

4. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    It confirms what I thought. I asked the man at the feed store and thats what he said, but I also know that he would be more likely to tell me what he wants me to buy because that feed store only has pellets. I just wanted some re-assurance. Thank you.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use pellets for large breed, and the layer crumbles for my bantam breeds like my silkies.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I didn't think there was a difference. I prefer the pellets because there is less waste, but other than that, my chickens don't seem any different and their eggs taste the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by