Are lead hens protective?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HorseFreak777, Nov 18, 2011.

1. HorseFreak777

HorseFreak777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Today I went to go pick up my Dominique (who likes to struggle), and suddenly, my BSL ran up started to bite my hand! She is also very defensive when she is getting ready to lay, she will growl and bite at me when I reach for her...but she won't stay in the nest for very long after she lays. What does this mean??

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some hens will defend others. It doesn't have to be a lead hen. Back when I had a young, rough roo, two of my hens would rush to the aid of a girl being mauled and would peck at him.
    Some hens just don't like to be disturbed while they're on the nest/trying to lay. My BO will growl sometimes when I go to pet her while on the nest - almost like a broody hen (but she's never gone broody). [​IMG] They're all different.

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    My RIR hen is the boss and used to charge and attack my jack russell if she ever dared chase ANY of the flock.

4. HorseFreak777

Jun 27, 2011
    Dang! I was hoping she might start getting broody! Do you think she would make a good mom??

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:No way of knowing this...unless she goes broody you really couldn't test it. I've never heard of anyone getting a non broody hen to accept chicks (and even then it's after the 21 or so days of setting that most sneak them in/under her).....

6. HorseFreak777

Jun 27, 2011
    Don't worry, I won't be giving her chicks until I know for sure that she goes broody, even then, I'm not planning on doing anything until spring. I also have a Blue Orpington that I'd like to see go broody, but she isn't even laying yet! She is 28 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by