1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are light brahmas good roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think my light Brahma is a boy. S/he is only two weeks old, but only has wing feathers that look weird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, we are going to keep the LB if it is in fact a he unless he crows too frequently or at odd hours and if it's aggressive in any manner. I have 2 children who go into the coop often. I can not have them attacked by a boy even if I'm close watching.

S/he is absolutely the sweetest thing ever. Melody minds his/her own business and loves human attention. Melody was picked out of the pullet bin, so I guess it's a 50/50 chance.

Are they typically calm and fairly quiet? We are allowed roosters, but I have a few neighbors that do not like chickens. Thanks.

2. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe I have a girl. My daughter picked the all yellow one in the light brahma bin, just because it was different. Maybe I have a mix with it being this color, I've had this happen last year and she didn't start feathering until 5 weeks of age with my Cochin.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My brahma rooster is a sweetheart.(he's the guy in my avatar) No, not a pet. I can't get near him (not that I try too hard). But that's the good thing. He just moves away when I'm down by the coop. He doesn't bother me at all. When I bring my grand-niece and -nephew to see the chickens, he just moves off with the hens. He's big, so if he did threaten the little ones,(or even an adult for that matter) he'd definitely be a goner.

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thanks for your reply. I'm still unsure with this chick. He/she sprouted a white little tail this morning and is growing feet feathers. I think this one will be almost all white, we'll see.

My neighbors Wyandotte feathered much slower and it turned to be a girl and they are the same type.

If this is a boy, we are switching the name to Mango.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    Mine is only 6 months old and starting to be aggressive. He has pecked at me a couple of times. Third strike and he is out. He has also attacked one of my 6 week old pullets twice and chased her all the way into some brush and then stood waiting on her until I came over and rescued her. All he has to do is hear the little ones cheep, and he runs over in attack mode. Not happy with him at all. He is absolutely beautiful but not good with the hens or my other rooster, a little EE.

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    If in fact my little one does attack, hen or rooster we will eat or put an add in Craigslist.

With my two children(9 and 11) I worry greatly since all our hens are our pets. They visit the hens daily. I don't know if I ever would trust a rooster alone in the coop with my kids in the first place. My girls know to respect the hens and wait for them to jump on their laps.

My neighbor across the street has a BR rooster. He has attacked them twice and went after their small child. My neighbor is frightened of him, but can't seem to rehome him. I can't imagine being afraid of my chickens.

Right now my light brahma does act like a hen. He/she is at the bottom of the pecking order. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks what the sex is. My one year old dark brahma is the top hen out of 8 girls.

I already brought back a cuckoo maran boy last week, but he was mean as a little one pecking on his flock mates heads and backs. The cuckoo maran was easy to tell that he was a boy with the barring coloring and already having a pink comb at 4 weeks. I swapped him for a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by