are light sussexes broody?

jed2012

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
West Valley City, Utah
i was looking for some broody types of hens, and ifa doesnt have silkies, so im wondering if light sussexes go broody often. can anyone help to clarify or deny this? my bo's arent going broody so... and i know brahmas go broody so...

My Black Australorps and buff Orpingtons from McMurry go broody.
MY black copper marans go broody.
My Easter Eggers from Meyers do not go broody.

Also depends on the hen. Most breeds of chickens go broody as it was a basic necessity to produce chicks. So the breeds that rarely or don't at all are few. ALso depends on the time of year. For some reason I have a few girls that like to go broody in the fall when it is much too cold to rear chicks out side.

Hope you find your answer.Good luck.

thank you guys so much! but im looking for chickens that are broody other than:
cochins
brahmas
australorps
silkies
bo's
sussexes
belgian/barbu d'uccles
booted bantam/sabelpoot bantams
cubalya (bantam?)
dorking (bantam?)
japanese bantams
marans
and oeg (bantam) or full size
thank you. and sorry.

i was looking for some broody types of hens, and ifa doesnt have silkies, so im wondering if light sussexes go broody often. can anyone help to clarify or deny this? my bo's arent going broody so... and i know brahmas go broody so...

It depends more on strain or individual bird than particular breed. I have 4 Light Sussex hens, they go broody in spring and continue on and off through the summer. I rarely use broody hens cause of bator convenience, but one of them insisted to set for 3 months, I tried all tricks I know on her to break her, and I gave up. she won.

I gave her some duck eggs and a week later chicken eggs. She hatched healthy ducks and chicks , she was the best broody I ever had. When I joined her and chicks with rest of the flock after few weeks, some hens tried to pick fight with her, in a second feathers were flying around and she beat them all even they gang up on her. The ducks grew almost to her size and she was still with them!

I am going to keep those hens for a long time just for their character and determination, although I got rid of most of my "dual purpose chickens".

i got my first broody last week. she wont stay on her brood over night though -_-
hu.gif
and in december!!! my dad keeps taking the eggs away because he doesnt want more chickens. i keep telling him he can sell them to our neighbor because they really want chickens. but, he doesnt listen.
idunno.gif

Perhaps you can get a deposit from your neighbor BEFORE setting eggs to prove to your Dad the neighbor is a serious buyer. Often people say they want a bird but don't follow thru with a purchase when the birds is available.

Find out hoe many the neighbor wants, and at what age ( chick or POL) and then you need to add on for eggs that don't hatch and chicks that die.

But get a 50% deposit before setting those eggs. THis is a tough time for a broody to be on those eggs--she needs enough food to keep warm in this winter weather. GL :)

the thing is... my dad is the most stubborn (i hope i spelled that right) person i know. also, he doesnt want more chickens around in my room while i take care of them and it gets stinky and etc. plus, its winter. and we are selling the eggs on high demand. about $2.50/dozen. or less. idk. i hope you understand how hard it is to convince my dad once he's made his mind.

Back
Top Bottom