Are lungs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tulie13, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I read the butchering stickie and it talks about "be sure to remove the lungs". Also, a buddy told me to remove them, but couldn't tell me why other than "they're not meat". [​IMG]

Are lungs bad to eat? Risky? I read another thread about chickens with Coryza being OK to eat as long as you are careful about getting all the lung tissue out. I'm guessing because of disease - but if the chickens are healthy, does that mean that it's OK to eat the lungs?

Also, are they any good? [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You remove them for aesthetic reasons not because they are dangerous or harmful.

3. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Good question. IDK but I know they are hard to remove without a lung remover tool.

4. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:I have small hands - I did pretty good on them, good enough to have some fairly intact lungs that I might want to eat! [​IMG] Assuming they aren't BAD, either health/risk-wise or if they are just plain yucky... [​IMG]

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Lungs... combs... gross!

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:I've not had any problem just prying them out with a gloved finger, scraping them from between the ribs, I can usually get them out in one piece. I don't eat them, but the layers who circle the cutting table like feathered sharks love to gobble them up!

7. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Guess my hand is to big.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I felt like gagging when i read the tittle to this post....
    sorry no help [​IMG]

9. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well people eat the livers, hearts, gizzards, feet, combs, and even unlaid eggs so I can't see why you can't eat the lungs but umm sorry I can't eat any of the things that I just mentioned. [​IMG]

10. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I love the livers, but I'm not a big gizzard or heart fan - the meat is too tough for my taste. The lungs seem very soft, I'll give it a try and let you know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by