are male chicks friendlier, generally speaking?

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
I ordered 4 chicks and the company threw in 7 extras which they said were males. The 4 I ordered are:
(standard size) Wyandotte, female
(standard size) Ameraucana, female (she's not as bad in the skiddish department...still not nearly as friendly)
(bantam size) Silkie, ?
(bantam size) light Brahma, ?

All the "extras" they threw in are so friendly, social, and curious, while the others are very skiddish. The chicks are all about 2 weeks old now, and the extras are all yellow, but I'm not sure what breed. I'm know that in the animal world, generally males make more loyal, friendlier, etc pets...but that's usually apparent when they're older, you know? So, just curious...is it the same with chicks, or do you think it's the breed?

They've all been moved to the outdoor coop now, where it's warm during the day, lamp goes on at night. It has a hinged top door on top of the external nesting boxes. When I lift that up, the yellow extras all fly up to sit on the side....they are not afraid of me at all. While the others hang out as far back as possible. WIll they come around eventually? I hate that the ones we're keeping are the skiddish ones, while every single 'extra' is friendly and fearless!

BTW, anyone near Syracuse, New York that would want these friendly little chickies, lol?

All I can say is that my favorite chicks out of a batch ordered from a hatchery all turned out to be boys... the males were the most curious and cuddly and the females were more standoffish. That was the case for all of them except one of our Blue Laced Red Wyandottes girls that still jumps onto my lap for cuddles when I'm sitting outside. So I don't think that is always the case with chicks, but it seems like our experiences are similar.

Or maybe it has something to do with that Syracuse air- I live in the area as well. Sorry no more roos for me though!
wink.png

My male chicks have all seemed to be friendlier and sweeter. I agree the girls seem to be more shy and stand-offish. Later it reverses in most cases lol. I do have some sweet roos that stayed sweet.

I agree. The one male NH I received (packing peanut) was very friendly. I hated to get rid of him. No roos allowed in my town.

We've had quite a few chicks over the last few years and I can't say that I've, personally, ever noticed the males being noticeably friendlier than the girls. All our chicks are held every day by multiple people and they've all been very sweet and friendly.

Quote:
Packing peanut, lol!!!

I doubt that our neighbors would appreciate the crowing. I, personally, love the sound of an early morning rooster. During the day, however, gets annoying
lol.png

Thanks ladies!

One of the meanest chickens I ever had was a BR rooster. He attacked everything, even cars that came in the driveway--we had to lock him up when we had company. We had a mongrel dog that was mostly corgi that would single-handedly kill full grown woodchucks that the rooster terrorized.

Back
Top Bottom