Are Mallards Seasonal Layers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ElizabethinNY, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ElizabethinNY

ElizabethinNY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    My duckies are about 21-22 weeks old and haven't laid yet. I think Mallards are seasonal layers--is this true? And when will they start in the spring, if so?

In the foreground is Millie (the loud and dominant one) and Daisy is in the background (the slightly smaller, 2 weeks younger, and slightly quieter duck).

[​IMG]

These ladies are not very tame but are really funny. They like to sneak up on my Orpington chickens and pinch them in the bottom just to hear the excited clucking and see them jumping around. I swear they're laughing while they do it. And they get such a gleam in their eyes while they're sidling up behind an unsuspecting Orpington. [​IMG] They both do it, too. And only when the Orpingtons' backs are turned and they're eating something and their big poofy bums are up in the air. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ElizabethinNY

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    Anyone? I apologize if this has already been answered, but I searched for it and couldn't find the answer prior to posting.

3. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I read on her from someone that they are seasonal layers. We have 10 Mallards 3 drakes 7 hens. We have seen them breeding yet no eggs from any. I read that when they start they will have very large clutches of eggs. Time will tell... Good luck!!

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Of course they are seasonal almost all birds are. It took generations of breeding away from seasonality to produce chickens and egg laying ducks.

5. ElizabethinNY

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks, Allquackedup, for answering my question. These two ducks were dumped on me in the summer, and while I've read as much as I can about duck keeping, it's hard sometimes to find answers to specific questions. And what might seem obvious to some may not be obvious to everyone; that's why I read here.

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    Im pretty sure they are seasonal layers, but mine most have went stupid this year we have 4 sitting and 3 others starting to lay here in Ohio not sure why thou.

7. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    One of my Mallard duck also (I have three girls) started laying today here in Pa. I was surprised & happy about it because I thought they were seasonal layers too. Maybe, it does have something with the warmer weather this year? Noriko.

S&N Livestock :

Im pretty sure they are seasonal layers, but mine most have went stupid this year we have 4 sitting and 3 others starting to lay here in Ohio not sure why thou.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by