Are Mallards the only ducks that have their toes clipped ??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brooke78, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Brooke78

Brooke78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    I was told Rouen because mine had the 2 stripes . But i checked and she has 1 toe clipped. I have one pic of her when i git her and again today. She is so much darker than my other . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    I would say mallard. The clipped toe is a dead giveaway, and she has only one distinct eye stripe. Mallarda will often have a shadow of the bottom eye stripe, which you can see here.

[​IMG]

I raised these two orphan girls last summer. They are 100% mallard for sure, but you can see the very slight bottom eye stripe.

1 person likes this.
  3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Don't follow the eye stripe test in some cases it can be flawed.

But yes she is a mallard.

4. Brooke78

Jul 7, 2014
    Thank you I kind of figured since she has the one toe clipped. The tractor supply that i got them from has mad quite a few mistakes . I picked up Pekins but they arent they have turned out to be Fawn Indian runners !

5. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

Haha my husband bought a fawn and white runner that turned out to be Pekin!

6. Brooke78

Jul 7, 2014

Thats funny !! But seriously these places need to get it together and mark them right ! My first clue was she would always stand upright then she would run the same way .[​IMG]

7. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

Wow that's a cute duckling, but I think you may have gotten the best of both lol. She looks like a runner Pekin mx almost. She has fawn and white runner color and upright stance, but her head and neck looks like a pekin. Her head is round and her bill is dished like a pekin. How interesting :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by