Are maran's freindly?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I love the look of marans and their deep copper eggs, but our chickens are pets, so I was wondering, how freindly are marans? Are they good egg layers? Do they go broody?

Thanks!

oh my god my marans is the nicest sweetest most fun hen ever. marans hen waits at perch for my hen hope (sig) to lay, adorable,

I have Marans, but they are young, between six weeks and three months. Not had ANY problems with aggression so far! I have blue splash, wheaton, and black copper, and boy are they pretty!

My Cuckoo Marans are coming to me on April 23rd. I'm getting 5 of them all females. Everyone has told me how friendly they are and that they are broody. They lay very well even in cold weather like winter. Mine are going to resemble the Barred Rocks in color by displaying feathers which are all crossed throughout with irregular dark and light slate colored bars.Plus there eggs are so dark chocolate colored that's why they call them the Chocolate Eggers. But as they get older there eggs get lighter in color. Mine also are going to be as my pets! Good luck have fun with them I can't wait to get mine!

I have a Maran Rooster that has within the last week begun chasing me everywhere I go!!! He is 1 year old and NOT NICE!!!! The hen is just fine, but the rooster is gonna be a in a pot pie as soon as we get another to replace him!!! It's HORRIBLE!!!

To SuperChickMama, did u you handle your rooster a lot when you got him? I didn't know if you got him as a baby or not but either way. Maybe put a coat on and some work gloves and try to get him used to you handling him and holding him and if he can't change eat him lol. I wish you the best luck! I hope none of mine get mean like that. I make my kids and I handle my chicken everyday because I do not want mean chickens in my coop or they will be replaced also.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom