Are marble in the water necessary? (need answers by 9:00am CT april 3!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am freaking out 'cause my chicks will be here in 12 hours!!!!!!!!! *faint*. two questions-

(1) Are marbles necessary in the water dish? Could I place it on a board? It just seems like a lot of work. It is 1 inch deep

(2) Do I need to put newspaper/paper towels over the shavings? If so how long?

THANKS!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Marbles are not required but can be beneficial. You can place on a board but too much water splashing could cause the board to rot over time.

Also do not put newspaper over the bedding. Newspaper can be slippery which can lead to spraddle leg in chicks

3. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    The marbles may not be necessary, but we have used them every time we've had chicks. Chicks fall asleep wherever they are and sometimes in the water that is why we used the marbles. The newspaper does need to be used the first day or so, just put it over the bedding. And they do sell chick water dishes that screw onto a quart jar that is shallow and that helps too.

4. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    I said newspaper, we used paper towels my mistake.

5. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Marbles or something similar is necessary to keep new chicks from "falling in" and possibly drowning or chilling from being wet. Be prepared to change the water often. I sometimes clean out 3 times per day. They naturally scratch and it will always end up in the water. As far as paper towels, I never put them in. I have three brooders and I put down shavings on top of towels or paper bags to make for easy cleaning. I change out shavings every 2 - 3 days depending on how many chicks are in each one.
    Just relax and enjoy! I just got home from work, sitting on the couch with 2 Serama chicks snuggling under the covers and reading BYC - God is good!
    B.K.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by