Are meaties prone to pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Renee', Mar 3, 2011.

1. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My chicks arrived with clean butts but they are starting to get pasty butts. (They have TONS of room.)

2. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    Glad to hear your chicks arrived! I wouldn't worry. It is usually form shipping stress. They get very stressed from being shipped! Just try to keep everything clear and keep them warm. I've heard adding oatmeal to there feed might help too.
    Lots of luck! [​IMG]

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They are no more prone to it than any other type chick, as far as I know. Personally, I have had very few of mine with this problem. I always forget if PB is caused by the brooder being too hot or too cool. Maybe someone else knows which it is.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    its a to hot problem, do you have a spot that cooler, even 60-70 degrees, I keep the heat on one side so if they get to hot they can get away

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Im going to have to say too hot. I have had cool brooders before and have never had an issue with pasty butt. When my brooder boxes run a little on the hot side is when I see alot of pasty butt:-(

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree . . . what's the platinum award thing???

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:press on it:) They just started doing it--I guess they are thinking about doing "badges" too? They are still talking and working on them??

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Thanks everybody. I noticed they were acting hot on Tuesday so I turned off one of the lights (they are 9 days old now). I had no idea that there was a correlation between high brooder temp and pasty butt. Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by