Are Mixed Variety Baby Chicks More Vulnerable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barry Natchitoches, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Please bear with me. I'm new at chicken raising, and this is the first time I've had a pullet go broody on me.

Here's the deal.

We only have one rooster -- an Easter Egger.

We have five pullets less than half a year old, plus two older hens who are over a year old.

One of our little pullets -- a buff orpington -- has gone broody less than a month after laying her first egg.

Her eggs are so small that we fear they won't be able to make it, even though we know for a fact that she has mated with the roo.

The roo has mated with one of the older hens -- the older buff orpington. He has never been able to get near the other older hen, since she is higher in the pecking order than even the roo is.

So we got the older buff's eggs, and gave them to Ms. Broody. We figure they'd have a better chance because they are larger eggs.

But here is my question: the roo is an Easter Egger, and the mother is a Buff Orpington.

Will there be a problem with the chicks surviving? I am not concerned that the resulting chick will be a mix breed. In fact, it will be fun to see what the new little chick(s) look like, and will any mix breed hens lay brown or blue eggs?.

I'm just wondering if there will be a greater than normal chance of problems because of the mixed parentage.

2. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    the answer is nope wont affect it. less chance in fact because you know for sure they are not kin to one another. but it will be definitely interesting to see what it looks like when it does hatch. good luck to you.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

yep, no problem at all. They'll all have fuzzy butts and be cute as heck.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I agree. No danger in hatching mixed-breed chicks.

As to whether or not the female offspring will lay green eggs, well, it's hard to say. Since the rooster has never laid an egg, you can't judge on whether or not he is carrying the blue egg gene. But you do have a chance of getting green eggers out of him.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

actually my mixed breeds are usually much hardier than the pure breds - and especially so if a Mama Hen raises them.

The chicks I hatched at the same time (within a day) of my hen hatching out her own chicks are smaller than the ones the mama hen hatched. She takes them all over and feeds them such a variety of things, they are fat little boogers.

meri

6. lm5858

lm5858 New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    [​IMG]I want to find out how to lay my eggs in the egg carton?

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Small end down...

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe you'll get pink egg layers!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps