Are Morning Glory seed toxic to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Madcap621, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]I covered my pullet's run w/deer mesh to protect them from raptors. Volunteer Morning Glories [the tiny ones w/1 inch flowers] grew up and over and provided great shade in our unseasonably hot summer [​IMG] BUT.............they have now gone to seed and are dropping the seed into the run. Is this dangerous to my girls? [​IMG]

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    According to this website and a few others, Morning Glories are in fact toxic: "MORNING GLORIES (Ipomea spp.); entire plant; plant contains LSD-related hallucinogens; may contain toxic levels of nitrates. " http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html#M

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    There are a couple of different plant geni called morning glories; the Ipomea and Convolvulus (also known as bindweed). The Ipomea is toxic. Convolvulus is not toxic to birds although it can cause problems for mammals. That's the problem with using common names. Tiny flowered, white, wild morning glories may well be Convolvulus. I'd try to look up what you have before you panic. Does this look like it?

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COAR4

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    AAAhhhhh! My entire fence is planted in morning glories! Cripes I am glad I saw your post!

5. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Wow! [​IMG] glad it's been raining! Will clear out the vines befor letting the girls back out!!
    [​IMG]

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:If they're convolvulus, there's no need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by