Are mosquitos bothersome to chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by McGoo, Jul 18, 2011.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I was closing up the coop in the middle of the night cause it's soooo hot and there were a ton of mosquitos around me. Do they bother the chickens too? I was thinking that they might get their combs and waddles... not sure. They sure got me. [​IMG]

Thanks

2. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    My girls love to eat the mosquitoes and even my week old chicks have tried catching the flying pests!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I thought there was some type of crusty eye thing they get from mosquitoes, let me check, my roo is battling it now and I saw a thread that it was caused by mosquitoes
    BRB

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They don't SEEM to bother mine at all but...mine do eat them if they see them but at night I'm sure they just sit there and let them bite away. So, I have said this before...I wish the chickens could talk [​IMG] I'm sure they can't be too fond of them.

My baby chicks really love chasing them around in their brooder too [​IMG] and it is very cute/funny [​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chickens may eat mosquitos during day. I challenge you to look at your birds tonight with flashlite while they are on roost. See who is eating who.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2. Mosquitos carry diseases that chickens can get; fowl pox, encephalitis, west nile virus. Screening vents helps, sticky fly strips- hang them high so that chickens dont get wrapped up in them.

8. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah I kindof wondered about this problem. I used to go out every night when I know they have gone in and close the doors. Mostly to keep the sqeeters out. But for the last two or three night I just left it open for more ventalation. (But I do have two fans in the two windows. But know I am worried again. I have spent so much time and money raising these chickens, I would hate to loose them to skeeters. I thought about those automatic bug spayers you get at Tractor supply. It really for barns.....larger areas than a 8x12x12 coop. I know they stay outside all day but even with fans running I worry it maybe to concentrate at night??????? I think it has a timer that sprays every so many minutes. I think the least is every nine minutes is one spray. Hmmmmmmm??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by