Are mosquitos bothersome to chickens

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I was closing up the coop in the middle of the night cause it's soooo hot and there were a ton of mosquitos around me. Do they bother the chickens too? I was thinking that they might get their combs and waddles... not sure. They sure got me.
roll.png

Thanks

I thought there was some type of crusty eye thing they get from mosquitoes, let me check, my roo is battling it now and I saw a thread that it was caused by mosquitoes
BRB

They don't SEEM to bother mine at all but...mine do eat them if they see them but at night I'm sure they just sit there and let them bite away. So, I have said this before...I wish the chickens could talk
sad.png
I'm sure they can't be too fond of them.

My baby chicks really love chasing them around in their brooder too
gig.gif
and it is very cute/funny
big_smile.png

Quote:
x2. Mosquitos carry diseases that chickens can get; fowl pox, encephalitis, west nile virus. Screening vents helps, sticky fly strips- hang them high so that chickens dont get wrapped up in them.

Yeah I kindof wondered about this problem. I used to go out every night when I know they have gone in and close the doors. Mostly to keep the sqeeters out. But for the last two or three night I just left it open for more ventalation. (But I do have two fans in the two windows. But know I am worried again. I have spent so much time and money raising these chickens, I would hate to loose them to skeeters. I thought about those automatic bug spayers you get at Tractor supply. It really for barns.....larger areas than a 8x12x12 coop. I know they stay outside all day but even with fans running I worry it maybe to concentrate at night??????? I think it has a timer that sprays every so many minutes. I think the least is every nine minutes is one spray. Hmmmmmmm??????

Back
Top Bottom