1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are most Polish roosters mean????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bald k9, Jul 13, 2010.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I have been reading on here and other sites Do Polish roosters tend to be meaner than regular breeds of chickens ,???? or is aggression built into crested breeds? or does it depend on the rooster itself?

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    No I have never heard of a mean polish roo, but with all breeds, it is possible to get a mean one every now & then.

I have heard this, mostly about Sultans and Crevecure roosters, having means streaks but not polish. Again it's possible.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have never had a mean polish roo. Stupid, yes. Mean, no.

And usually the stupid goes away when they get a haircut.

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    josh, do you have creves? If so, join my thread, it's on the second page on the top!

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Nope no creves here yet, but looking.
    I am thinking of getting some from the person in GA. if not, from a friend in OH. they had some of the best in the whole U.S.
    I raise mainly laced polish & WCrested polish. I am looking into houdans & Creves soon.

Had sultans also they were not as WOW as the rest in my opinion.

6. Chick-N-Antics

Chick-N-Antics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Olivet, MI USA
    I have a silver polish crested roo, we named Speedbump. He was the smallest chick we had and seemed to be forever the last chicken to do anything. When he finally found his stride he was great, a little skittish (always running the other way when we throw treats down) but docile when we handle him; not the best at protecting the girls and oft times a little rough with them when he does his roosterly duties but he is never aggressive with us. Now, my other roos...well that's another matter.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I have a polish roo in with one polish hen and a bunch of bantam hens and he cut me up about 4 weeks ago. The first night I thought it might be a fluke and didn't worry about it. Didn't even think about it again until the next night when I had one foot off the ground and he attacked the shin of the foot I was standing on. About 5 minutes later, he was without spurs. Not saying all polishes or all of any breed are mean, but this polish roo is mean.

8. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Quote:[​IMG]:clap

9. Chick-N-Antics

Chick-N-Antics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Olivet, MI USA
    Quote:I never thought about cutting the feathers back! OMG, this would probably fix some of his quirkiness. [Insert sheepish grin]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by