Are most roosters bad??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrstiffanymayer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mrstiffanymayer

mrstiffanymayer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Bakersfield California
    So far I am 2 for 2 in the aggressive bad roo department. The first was a NHR. He had to go @25 weeks because he continued to attack my youngest daughter and scratched up her belly. Rehabilitation was tried, with no success, so we traded him for a laying hen (he ended up in our friend's soup pot). Our next one was a handsome EE. We had to process him this Monday because he attacked my oldest daughter. We tried to rehabilitate him as well with all the advice from this board, to no avail. He also crows all day AND throughout the night (he especialy liked 1-4 in the AM). He also attacked my dog (who is the chickens guardian).

What is the deal? Everything I read says there are nice roosters out there. Ones who tend to their flock, protect, and are sweet with their ladies. Is it a 50/50 split for ideal vs. aggressive or is it more heavily weighted on the aggressive side?

We will be getting more "pullets" this spring, so more than likely we will end up with another rooster. I hope we get a nice one this time.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    How old are your daughters? Mine are 21, 13, 6 and 2. (yes.....they are all mine....no steps) I can let the first 2 in with no trouble at all. They know to kick the rooster if he comes to them in a threatning way. The 6 and 2 year old do not go in the coop unless I am holding their hand or holding them. I wouldn't trust any rooster with a small child. It isn't enough to just be there. You have to have them in hand and be on the lookout. Even in a petting zoo the chickens would be very calm hens.

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I have read that the most aggressive ones are also the very best guardians if you are free-ranging.[​IMG]

4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

No, they are not all mean! Our Black Jersey Giant is sweet, but our Delaware HATES me and is sometimes aggressive toward my husband.

I find that what I am wearing makes a difference in how Mr. Delaware acts. If I dress similar to my husband (Jeans, dark jacket, leather boots) he doesn't bother me as much. If I go out wearing my bright yellow rain boots, or crocs (ouch), or loose pajama pants (especially the pink flowered ones), or any combo of these, he goes absolutely nuts!!!

Pay attention to what your girls are wearing. We have the best luck with the "dark" outfit. Light colors, bright colors, shiny surfaces, billowing pant legs, decorative buttons, etc. all seem to make him crazy.

Good luck!

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i've had LF faveolles with the same issue. they are supposed to be very friendly. but the 4 i hatched from the same clutch of eggs all became skittish and eventually aggressive, my bantam fav was a sweetheart, so i know that there can be some in a breed that does not follow the norm. it could also have something to do with not doing the part of proper poultry husbandry in selecting who to breed with who.

NHR i didn't think the roos were a friendly type anyways. i think it is just hit or miss on some breeds.

6. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    We have had a mix of both. We had a very evil EE rooster who would flog my 3 year old non-stop. Any time he saw her he came running to attack. I gave him to the mail man who has older kids and a free range flock. Our next rooster we tried to make tame by raising him from a chick and holding him all the time, which apparently you aren't supposed to do? He turned into an evil attack bird also and I gave him away to someone on Craigslist.

We have two Marans roosters left, they each have their own little flock. Both have been harmless so far. They don't even give warning clucks when DD tries to pick up the hens! We also have a Faverolle/EE cross who is like a teddy bear. He's hit puberty, full grown, but he never crows. He's just so tame! We can carry him around, and we didn't baby him as a chick at all. We also have a Dutch bantam roo who is a fighter when it comes to other birds but loves to ride on DD's shoulder, lol.

7. sciencechick

sciencechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Sorry to hear about your roo troubles!
    I have had 3 different roosters over the past year: Hamburg, Easter Egger and Lakenvelder. None of them is aggressive towards the hens, people or even other roosters. The Hamburg is the oldest, and he kept the younger ones in check just by chasing them. No real fights at all.

I started out with 5 Cuckoo Maran cockerels in the mix when I raised the chicks. These guys were a bit of a pain at 3-4 months and always looking for trouble, so they became soup.

So, maybe the answer is that I have weeded out the bullies at an early age? Who knows.
    But roos definetely do not HAVE to be nasty.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Mine is pretty rotten, but I don't take him too seriously becuase he is a banty (and frizzled to boot). My middle child (3 yr old) won't go outside if he sees him in the yard. I've taught my 5 yr old how to kick back, so he does fairly well with him. But if he sees them he is bound to charge them. He has never tried to attack me, but doesn't like the kiddos. He's not too keen on the puppy either [​IMG] But he does an awesome job taking care of his ladies.

My 2 silkie roos were amazingly friendly. All of my kiddos could pick up Muffin and hold him. And he would dance for me everytime he say me. He is sadly missed.

9. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I have had no luck with roosters. We had a silkie roo that we just lost on halloween to a racoon and he was MEAN! but I gave my 4 year old a raquetball racket and she whacked him and then he never attacked her again! It worked like a charm! Now I have a wellie that is being a meany so he gets my boot. I usually only have to boot him once or twice a month, i think he forgets that I am the head roo and not him! Good luck with your roos!

10. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Sorry to hear anyone has had mean roosters. Most of mine over the years have been pets, may not always like each other but always been tame, lovable and cuddly. Most of them have been bantams, Frizzle cochins, Silkies, and mixed breeds. I have three roosters right now, all bantams and they are all kind and loving towards me and tolerate each other.

I think if you work with them at a young age then they will be tame and less aggresive. When I get chicks, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't hold them and hand feed them. I start the minute they come out of the egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by