Are Mottled Java chicks hard to keep alive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, May 13, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I picked up 3 Mottled Java's and 1 Black Java from the local feed store 4 days ago-they are supposed to be 1 week old but I wondered because they are tiny chicks compared to my 3 Americaunas/EasterEggers/something-super-cute-chicks we hatched that are 1 week old as well. Yesterday, a yellow and black Mottled Java fell over and died. Everyone seemed healthy so I don't know why it died. I figured it was the smallest of the group and failure to thrive, which I expect can happen. Everyone else was fine all day, and today, another yellow and black Mottled Java fell over, but didn't die, yet. The EE's look and seem fine. The Black Java does seem physically stronger but not much bigger than the 2 Mottled ones left. So, I'm wondering, I'm not using medicated feed, I'm using pine shavings, I changed the shavings once a day, I change the water and pecking plate 3 times a day. 2 of the Mottled Javas had pasting but that was resolved by cleaning and olive oil (thanks to advice on the forum). I've looked them all over, I just don't see anything wrong. I know they can just not make it sometimes but I thought I'd ask for feedback, thanks. [​IMG] And are Javas tiny chicks and hard to keep alive?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have found that sometimes maybe, about ten percent of my Javas would just tip over dead for no apparent reason, here and there, up to around four weeks old. I never knew why. They were fine, then the next day, not fine, then dead. The rest never looked off and are doing great. Sorry for your loss. I know how frustrating it is, from experience.

3. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Well thanks, I was a dummy and put all the chicks together which, I knew better-so mostly hopeful I haven't hurt anyone else by doing that. I did separate the Javas from the others...at least they won't get trampled...great chicken picture you have for your avatar.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have never raised javas from the time they were chicks. We only have one, and he's our flock rooster. He's a black mottled. He is the BEST rooster we could have hoped for. He is very good to the hens, tends the flock, is not aggressive with humans or children, and he's GINORMOUS. I couldn't imagine him as being a tinier-than-the-rest chick. I'll have to ask the lady I got him from. He was 6 months old when we got him, so he's about 7-1/2 months now. BIG rooster, at least 8 or 9 pounds at this point and isn't fully grown yet! Very sweet disposition but is still a rooster and is really protective of his girls, especially Henrietta (our FBCM, his obvious favorite). One of our girls has gone broody & has 7 eggs under her, most of which are not hers, but the java is the daddy. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of mutts we get out of these!

5. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Usually: yes. The mottled Java was/is a rare breed, and the gene pool is very small- causing some health issues.

-crazy

6. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    :)Thanks for all the feedback-turns out the Javas have cocci, and so I'm treating them with Cocid. So out of 4 Javas, 2 died, and 2 are doing better-they've been on the med's 2 days. One of them is a Black Java and the other the Mottled. I think they'll make it-although the Mottled one keeps pasting up and its going on week 2 so we'll see. Unfortunately the 3 EE's have had less energy-I'm treating them for the Cocci too though, just hope they'll be fine.

7. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    GoodLuckCharlie! :

:)Thanks for all the feedback-turns out the Javas have cocci, and so I'm treating them with Cocid. So out of 4 Javas, 2 died, and 2 are doing better-they've been on the med's 2 days. One of them is a Black Java and the other the Mottled. I think they'll make it-although the Mottled one keeps pasting up and its going on week 2 so we'll see. Unfortunately the 3 EE's have had less energy-I'm treating them for the Cocci too though, just hope they'll be fine.

Maybe use so Olive Oil for the Java's booty- it keeps poo from sticking.​

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are strong little buggers! They survived (in egg) through 3 major power outages and still hatched all 3 of them. 1 cockeral (rehomed now) and 2 pullets (still have them) - all mottled. The 2 pullets are larger than the wellies and barnevelders.

9. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    sorry for the loss of the chicks [​IMG]
    after reading about the way the mottled java chicks tend to fall over and die, i expected a few losses out of my 10 , 3day olds mottled javas. i didnt have any losses with them however, and now they are about 2 wks old. the cocci is NOT something fun to deal with. lots of luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by