are Mt.Healthies Barred Rocks good for layers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Taylor, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    i have 15 and i was wondering if they are the egg laying type, or meat type. are they good layers all week/year, do they lay big brown eggs? and are their rhode island reds and buff orpingtons good too? mine are 15 wks old tomorrow and was just curious

2. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Mt. Healthy's Barred Rocks are good heavy, dual purpose birds. They are my personal favorites from Mt. Healthy. Mine have been good consistent layers and lay a L/XL light brown egg. I still have a few 2 year olds in my flock and they are averaging about 5 eggs a week right now. I really like their Buff Orpingtons also. They are good layers but have a tendency to go broody in late spring. The RIRs are probably a little better layers than the other 2 breeds but are not as heavy as the BRs and Orps. Here's some pics of the BRs and RIR.
    RIR with Comets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Quote:Do you now about there SLW I have 2 that will be 3 weeks old Wednesday.Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I had 3 SLW hens that I sold this spring. 2 of the 3 had decent lacing for hatchery birds- pretty birds. They were also fairly quiet and calm birds. They were decent layers but their eggs were smaller than the BRs, RIRs, and BOs.
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Poor lacing
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by