NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I would be in the future possible interested in the sebrights (both gold and silver) and

Egyptian Fayoumis along with other bantam breeds and possibly their French Black Copper Marans. Are their birds show quality and what are your experiences with this hatchery? Good or not? Thx,

Did you do a BYC search forums for Murray McMurray? Just like anything you're going to see good and bad stories, pro's and con's of going with one of the biggest..... I've had good and bad with big and little hatcheries. I just don't think there is one solid answer here. I currently go with Privett out of Arizona. It's a long way to Oregon but they have never gotten it wrong, good healthy chicks especially love their FBCM. I'm aware that this could change however, there is some risk with all of them.

Murray McMurray is a good hatchery. As with anything on the net, you'll see good and bad reviews, do your own research and find out what's best for you and your situation.
I ordered from them back in the 60's, I couldn't tell you how they are now but they were great back in the day! Not show quality but very good barnyard quality.

Are their birds show quality
McMurray is probably as good as any other hatchery in that respect.

If you are buying day-old chicks from any source, be prepared to buy quite a few and select carefully. You will find more culls than birds worth taking to a show. (You can butcher the extras, or sell them, or keep them as layers & pets, or whatever else suits you.)

Even people specifically trying to raise show-quality chickens produce more culls than birds actually good enough to show. The rate from a hatchery (any hatchery) is going to be a bit worse than from a show breeder.

If you buy a bunch of chicks, you can check early for some traits, and will have to raise them longer to check other traits. (Examples: single vs. rose comb is obvious at hatch, foot/shank color is obvious within a few weeks, exact body shape is not clear untli the bird is fully grown.)

McMurray is probably as good as any other hatchery in that respect.

If you are buying day-old chicks from any source, be prepared to buy quite a few and select carefully. You will find more culls than birds worth taking to a show. (You can butcher the extras, or sell them, or keep them as layers & pets, or whatever else suits you.)

Even people specifically trying to raise show-quality chickens produce more culls than birds actually good enough to show. The rate from a hatchery (any hatchery) is going to be a bit worse than from a show breeder.

If you buy a bunch of chicks, you can check early for some traits, and will have to raise them longer to check other traits. (Examples: single vs. rose comb is obvious at hatch, foot/shank color is obvious within a few weeks, exact body shape is not clear untli the bird is fully grown.)

Absolutely correct! I use to show Blacktailed White Japanese....I'd cull about 60%.
Even with getting show quality birds to begin with, is no guarantee that you will get show quality offspring from those birds....but it helps to begin with the best SOP type birds you can get.

I have ordered from Murray McMurray 3 times now, and I have only had good experiences! I think they are an excellent hatchery. I have an Egyptian Fayoumi from them. I’m not sure if she’s show quality or not, though.
61C1371F-96C2-419E-84A1-23A061BAF35D.jpeg
82391D30-D91C-47AF-851E-ADFD9AB4F00E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom