1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Are Muscovies the Only Quiet Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HJECG, Feb 21, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I'm interested in adding a duck or maybe even a pair to my small backyard flock of chickens. I live in an urban neighborhood where roosters aren't allowed due to noise. I'm wondering whether there are any duck varieties beyond the Muscovy that won't be too noisy for where we live. Are there any other types of ducks generally known to be quieter than the average duck breed? I hope this isn't a dumb question; I just want to be sure that we do our homework thoroughly before making any decision. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    There is no such thing as a dumb question :) Being responsible and doing your research is a very good thing. Cayugas are supposed to be the quietest breed besides for muscovys. I have some cayugas but they are all drakes so I can not really confirm this based on personal experiences. They are VERY pretty and they are sweet hearts, I love them so much. Good luck!

Also I would just be careful about mixing ducks and chickens. I have heard from a lot of people that it is not a good idea and that the chickens will harass the ducks. But I have also heard from some that their ducks ant chickens get along fine. I would do some research on mixing ducks and chickens before you make a final answer.

Ducks are very fun and entertaining though! I think you will really enjoy them if you find a way to get your chickens and ducks to co-exist :)

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Drakes (male ducks) are very quiet no matter what the breed. So when I said I could not confirm this based on my experienses I meant I can not confirm it because I only have drakes and not females which are the louder ones.

Maybe you could get all drakes. This way you get any breed you want.

4. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Thank you for the feedback! Since we really only want a pet (or two) and aren't concerned about eggs or babies, maybe a drake or two is the way to go. I didn't realize that male ducks are relatively quiet across all breeds. Now I'm wondering whether two drakes would get along okay if they're raised together...

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    They will absolutly get along fine even if they were not raised together. My three drakes that were raised together (two cayugas and a buff) all love eachother. I am in the process of introducing another drake to the flock and so far so good! The only thing I would be careful about is that they may try to mate with the chickens. And again I know of people who have drakes with chickens and have no problems and i also know of people who do have problems. Maybe you should look up a thread about drakes and chickens or create your own.
    Good luck :)

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yes, drakes are quiet across the board BUT as i said in my other post to you with your small chicken flock i wouldn't go that route. I am mostly Muscovy here, i do own some buffs and calls.. the calls are on the highest level of loud(talk about extremes lol) the buffs are downright chatty!!

I don't think they will be that much louder than laying hens can be at times, a pair of ducks that is.. mine are big flocks so i think that contributes to the noise of my buffs.

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes the bigger the flock the noisier it is. I only have a flock of four drakes and when they all get going it can be loud, but if I only had one or two it probably wont be as loud. Also, it depends on the actual duck. My buff is very chatty as well and will usually start the loud quacking sessions and the others just follow.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well this pair is unreal mind you it's hilarious when they get chatting with the calls.. i have 3 females(calls) so they do this back n forth quack... quack ... wish i knew what they were saying, of coarse the buffs are fluent in Muscovy so they likely enjoy the chatter of the mallard derived ducks sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    OK, I've got to ask....what have you against Muscovy ducks? Is it the red caruncles on their faces? It gives them character! I will admit that I have seen many Muscovys that were downright ugly in my opinion, but on the other hand I have seen some very pretty ones too. I have the "French" white Muscovys and I would never have any other specie of duck living in close proximity to neighbors. They are really quiet, they are friendly, they love treats, they wag their tails like a dog, they are very good mothers and they are fun to watch. Unless they see them, your neighbors will never know you have ducks.
    Do yourself a favor, there is a very short video on Youtube from WOWSA FARMS (I think that is right), but type in "White Muscovy", watch the video and do some research. I had to get rid of my K/C ducks due to excessive noise, but my Muscovys are so quiet. I wouldn't trade mine for any other duck.
    Bob

I forgot, they are delicious and much less greasy than other ducks,....Duck, it's what's for dinner!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Haha I can not even imagine the noise with all the girls AND the calls! My boys are loud enough for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by