1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Muscovy ducks afraid of dense woods?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henrik Petersson, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Our Muscovy ducks aren't the most passionate bathers, but their number one hobby is siphoning for food in pools of water, and would in normal circumstances not pass up an opportunity to do so for the world. Today, however, was a special circumstance. I noticed that a natural pool had formed in a large hole in the ground some 20 feet into the woods that surround our backyard, "I must show this to my ducks - they'll love it", I thought. I started to lure them there - it's very easy to lure my Scovies to places, I've fed them so often that they follow me around like dogs - but when I'd nearly gotten them to the pool, they stopped by the edge of the woods. I stood right by the pool for several minutes, but they wouldn't come one step closer.

At first I thought that they were just afraid to enter an area of ground they'd never visited before. And that may be the correct explanation, but I thought of another one: Perhaps they are instinctually afraid of dense woods, due to the risk of predators?

Now, chickens love dense vegetation, and are rather afraid of open spaces. This makes sense when you're a quick, agile bird that doesn't fly well - they stand a better chance to avoid predators where there are many hiding spots. I've noticed that Scovies don't share that agoraphobia. It also makes sense - they are slow and clumzy, but strong fliers. A predator charging at them in a field will be less of a danger than one lurking around a corner.

So maybe Scovies are a bit claustrophobic?

What do you guys think?

2. yorkie6

yorkie6 Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    Muscovy ducks prefer watery habitats with dense vegetation and large trees, like rivers, brackish coastal wetlands, ponds and wooded swamps. That is what i have heard, but they may be different, since they may have never been in there natural habitat.

1 person likes this.
  3. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden

Allright! I'll go with my previous explanation then, that they're just unused to that particular area. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. yorkie6

yorkie6 Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    Alrighty! Hope I was able to help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by