are muscovys smarter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Sep 21, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Is it me or are Muscovys smarter than regular ducks? They seem calmer, tamer and friendlier too.

2. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Mine are much smarter.. I think they get out much easier then other ducks.. Its almost like they think about it..lol

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yup, mine are much easier to train to do anything new and learn from watching other animals.

Love me some 'scovies!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Absolutely. [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Mine sure are!

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Mine are, we just picked up 15 new juveniles and it took them less than an hour to accept my drake as their new leader and then only one night to learn to go in the chicken coop. I'm still working with 4 of the chickens on learning where they need to go to bed [​IMG]

7. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have 3, 2 month old muscovies and one 18 month old Khaki Campbell and the Campbell seems to have an edge on figuring things out. Maybe it's because she has been around longer than the scovies but she seems more street smart than the scovies.

The Campbell figured out how to push under my mesh divider fence in about an hour. The scovies still haven't figured it out and look really surprised when the escape artist shows up on the other side of the fence.

Scott

[​IMG]

8. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I think that because the Muscovy are so calm that they take the time to actally SEE what's going on, register it, and remember for later. So they seem to learn to do most things a little sooner - like putting themselves to bed. It takes a minimum of 4 days for any of my mallard-type ducks to learn that at a certain time of the evening they need to be in their house. When the Muscovy are just little babies they put themselves to bed after being shown one time. I think it's because the mallard-types are always running away from you in a screaming panic that they just never take a look around to see where the heck they're going - LOL!

9. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    mine seem really smart....they know whats going on if I do something.......they put themselves to bed if I am 10 minutes behind the light schedule.......which makes it a fun game since instead on the coop the ladies like to fly up and perch on the roof top........that said they know me on the ladder means fly down and go home [​IMG]

10. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have been TRYING to herd my Anconas into their new pen the last two nights....seriously, I think they think I am the DEVIL there to skin them alive and eat them while they are still raw! It bugs me SO bad....I have been feeding them and taking care of them for over a month! You would think they would learn that I am the good one, the one with treats, water, FOOD!!!!

I have to pick them each up after CHASING them around the pen. Well....I just herd them into a corner and grab....if I don't do this, they don't go in.

Maybe I should have gotten me some 'scovies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by