Are my 6 week old BO male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calawson, Nov 3, 2016.

1. calawson

calawson Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    I was hoping that I could get some help on determining if these are male or female? They are 6 weeks old. Their combs are very yellow and hard to see above their feathers although between the 3 of them the size varies, one has a very small comb and the other two are bigger but still hard to see above the feathers, but...I'm worried about these red wattles a bit! Roos are not allowed where we live and since the temperature is getting chilly, I'd like to see if anyone has insight on these two before I really try to find some friends for the one that I'm certain is a hen. Thank you!
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Other than the red wattles, they look like pullets to me. But I'm by far not an expert! ;) Beautiful birds regardless of gender!

3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am going with pullets

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    My buff orp pullets look the same. Going on 8 weeks and still no pink in their combs at all. I think your are all pullets as well. Mine that werent girls had noticable pink/red in their comb by this age.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Everyone looks female at this point.

Orps can fool you, though......not too often, but now and again we see pretty late maturing cockerels on the forums. Probably the best sign is if you see darker gold/buff shading on the wings, that's a sign of a male. Females are an even gold shade all over, hatchery stock is maybe a little darker in the collar and tail, but not on the wings.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Right now, nothing is screaming cockerl to me, so, I'm pretty sure they are all pullets.Though Chick#2 Has a Little more Red, but I wouldn't worry.Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. calawson

calawson Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Thank you all for the comments!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    At this time they appear to be nice pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by