Are My 7 week-olds OK at 48 degrees F?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BigSkyChickens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I put my 5 girls in the coop on Sunday, and I just need a little reassurance that it's not too cold for them. Coldest temps were: Monday morning: 50 degrees, Monday evening: 56 degrees and this morning it was 48 degrees.
    I'm probably being riduculous: it's Calfornia, and the chickens have feathers!
    I'm sure this sounds familiar to y'all: the move has been harder on me than on them. The first night I was waking up every couple hours to look out the window. LOL.
    The chickens seem very happy in the coop. They are not huddled together. They are jumping, flying and exploring their new space.
    Thanks a bunch, BYC people, you have been so helpful, sharing info.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think they will be fine as long as there are no drafts.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Jody.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just keep an eye on them... if you DO see them starting to huddle, then it's probably still too cold. But it's only 45F here this morning, and all my youngsters are out running around... [​IMG]

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Thanks, folks! That puts it all into perspective - to hear from somone in AK.

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They'll be fine if they're 7 weeks. Our 6 week olds are outside, but they had a heat lamp. Last night it died, and in the morning they were just as happy and healthy as ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by