Are my babies going to hatch??

Chicks4life28

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
Edit 2: I checked on them this morning and still none of them have hatched. I found one that started piping but it looks like some kind of liquid kinda blocked it up. What do i do??

Edit 1: I just candled some eggs and looked at the duck egg i put under her and it looks beautiful and healthy. I only found 1 dead one. 😁😁😁

So i first noticed a broody hen about 23 days ago. She's been sitting on them for about 23 days I think yet none of the chicks have hatched. I thought one had hatched because i saw a shell broken in to parts but when I looked under her i saw nothing but unhatched eggs. I thought i saw one that was cracked a little but I'm not sure if it was just her eating her own eggs. This is the first time I've ever had a hen sit on eggs this long. I don't usually have eggs hatched by their mother. What do I do? Will they hatch??

Last edited:
Have you candled the eggs? Are the eggs fertile (do you have an adult fertile rooster?)
No i haven't candles them because i didn't want to half bake the eggs by taking them out of under their mama. I think i do. He's very mean but I'm not sure how to test if he's fertile. He definitely has mounted maybe not on her but she is sitting on other hens' eggs.

No i haven't candles them because i didn't want to half bake the eggs by taking them out of under their mama. I think i do. He's very mean but I'm not sure how to test if he's fertile. He definitely has mounted maybe not on her but she is sitting on other hens' eggs.
Candling the eggs won't hurt them, you don't use a real candle ;D Just a flashlight (the one on smartphones works very well in my experience) and 'see through' the egg. Theres tons of threads on here on what dead eggs and developing eggs look like with images of candled eggs : D

Candling the eggs won't hurt them, you don't use a real candle ;D Just a flashlight (the one on smartphones works very well in my experience) and 'see through' the egg. Theres tons of threads on here on what dead eggs and developing eggs look like with images of candled eggs : D
Thank you. I just candled a few and they look fine to me. Finger crossed that they are fine and hatching soon!

Back
Top Bottom