Are my babies hurting each other?

hollyrocker

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
England
My quails are now 4 weeks old, they came from quite a weak batch and ive been left with 3. Im not sure if they are hurting eachother, or simply growing their feathers; their feathers on their wings and underneath are very bare, much like the stalk parts of the feathers with no actual fluff on them. Im wondering if they are hurting each other, or if this is normal at this stage? I still consider myself as a newbie to this - i had 5 quail from babies this time last year, and they are still very much loved. However i dont remember this happening with those birds ??

I think it may still be too early to know if they are male or female? If they were all males and 6 weeks old, i might understand it as I have experienced my boys from last year scalping each other - but they arent bare this time on the back of their necks.

If anyone can help make sense of my ramblings, that would be much appreciated!! I dont want to wake up one morning to find them all dead from killing eachother! Ive not seen them fight, but im not with them 24/7

thanks guys

did u have a mean roster or hen that laid them? or did somebody that gave the quail or fertilized eggs did they have a mean roster or hen?

cause if u did when that hen or roster is breeded then the eggs or quail will be an instinct to be mean same with chickens

and that might be why

hope this helps
smile.png

Last edited:
did u have a mean roster or hen that laid them? or did somebody that gave the quail or fertilized eggs did they have a mean roster or hen?

cause if u did when that hen or roster is breeded then the eggs or quail will be an instinct to be mean same with chickens

and that might be why

hope this helps
smile.png

they have never been around their parents - they were given to a school as fertilised eggs, hatched there and ive had them for 2 weeks now. they are all still together in one space - i havent seen them being aggressive to eachother - i want to be able to work out their gender before it gets nasty!

My quails are now 4 weeks old, they came from quite a weak batch and ive been left with 3. Im not sure if they are hurting eachother, or simply growing their feathers; their feathers on their wings and underneath are very bare, much like the stalk parts of the feathers with no actual fluff on them. Im wondering if they are hurting each other, or if this is normal at this stage? I still consider myself as a newbie to this - i had 5 quail from babies this time last year, and they are still very much loved. However i dont remember this happening with those birds ??

I think it may still be too early to know if they are male or female? If they were all males and 6 weeks old, i might understand it as I have experienced my boys from last year scalping each other - but they arent bare this time on the back of their necks.

If anyone can help make sense of my ramblings, that would be much appreciated!! I dont want to wake up one morning to find them all dead from killing eachother! Ive not seen them fight, but im not with them 24/7

thanks guys
I'd have to see pictures to be sure, but it sounds like they're getting their adult feathers. They'll look pretty bad for a little while. As long as there are no bald heads, bald backs or bleeding birds they're ok.

Back
Top Bottom