Are my babies okay outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ctcasper, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    They will be six weeks old wednesday. We put them outide in an all wire chicken run with a tarp over most of it. They have a dry place with straw and a 65watt light bulb. This is how we housed my 8 week olds when we got them, but is it okay for my 6 week olds? They are fully feathered. It is raining now, but like I said they have a dry place to go with some heat. Our lowest low in the forcast is about 45, daytime temps in the high 60s and 70s mostly...tomorrow will be a little more chilly so I will leave the light on.
    Any thoughts??

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    mine went out at 5 1/2 weeks, they have a coop, with two 100 watt bulbs, temps have been down to the 40s outside. They've done beautifully, they roost on the roosts and haven't huddled under the lights. I was out there checking on them all night for 2 nights, they were fine. It's been over a week and they are loving their new digs!

3. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    My ladies and fryers went out to the coop at just under 4 weeks. I kept a heat lamp on at night untill a few days ago. These birds are much hardier than we give them credit for sometimes. they are 5 weeks today and doing fine. I'm much more concerned with the heat of the day then the cool nights.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The temps should be okay, but watch out for the dampness. And dont allow the yard area to become a mud hole. Layer it with straw.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I probably take the heat source away earlier than is recommended a lot of times just because I feel like if they were with a mother hen, by the time they get a certain size and are pretty well feathered out she wouldn't be able to cover them all anyway. Of course it depends on the weather and the time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by