Are my baby chickens actually roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katanne555, Oct 29, 2013.

1. katanne555

katanne555 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    I have 4 baby White Plymouth Rock chicks. They are about 9 days old. When they first came, they behaved like regular chicks. Now they are starting to try and fight eachother. Does this mean that some are roosters, or is this natural chick behavior? I haven't had chicks for 2-3 years so I'm not sure if this means anything or not. Is there any way to tell for sure if my chicks are male or female?

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Sometimes hens fight, could you post some pics? Or is it too early to tell visually? It could just be normal chicken behavior, I have a brood that was always having little (non serious) fights, and the majority of them turned out to be grumpy hens.

3. katanne555

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    It's pretty hard to tell visually if they're roosters are not, since they're still pretty young. I have just been looking at their behavior to maybe see if some seem bossier than others. Hopefully i will be able to tell easier as they grow older

4. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    They could also be hens, my hens fight for a couple seconds probably to reestablish the pecking order. I love those Nature shows and in the wild baby birds would pick on another so they can get more food, but it's probably a natural behavior.

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -don't think it has anything to do with gender particularly. We have feisty bantam hens that will jump up and kick one another from time to time. They face off, throw up their neck feathers, then briefly spar. They never hurt one another, and it is almost as if they are just playing around. They are hilarious! -will chase one another around the lawn and hide in various perennial beds, then dart off after one another again. I haven't a clue why they do this sort of thing. They get along well, and will forage on the lawn, eat at the feeder, and roost right next to one another. They always stay together in their little group.

6. katanne555

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you for helping me :) hopefully my chicks are just play fighting

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Fighting/chest bumping is normal for both genders.

8. yardbird53

yardbird53 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    South Carolina
    My month old EE chicks have started doing the chest bump with each other too. Reminds me of the football players after they make a good play!

Naptownsurfgirl likes this.
  9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Mybaby girls are chest bumping every morning!! They are establishing the pecking order.its normal for both sexes.

Naptownsurfgirl likes this.
  10. Naptownsurfgirl

Naptownsurfgirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2017
    Ok I feel better. Maybe I have all all pullets. They are doing the face off with each other. It’s so funny!!! I can’t get it on camera yet!!!

They are about a month now. Hoping for pullets but one of them is much bigger than the others with very thick legs.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by