Are my baby chicks boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Candy Floss & Popcorn, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Candy Floss & Popcorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hello from New Zealand. I'm just new to your site & I've never posted on a forum before but I'd love to know if you think my babies are boys or girls. I suspect I have a white roo but not sure about the others. I'm going to try to upload some photos I took while they were enjoying some sun outside before they came inside under the heat lamp again. I think the breeds are 1 x Silver Wyandotte, 2 x Brown Leghorn & 2 x White Leghorn. They are about 3 weeks old but the Wyandotte is slightly younger. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Of course it's early for guesses. That one white leghorn has a lot of comb for a pullet but it could still be one as leghorns have such large combs. Wyandottes have a lot of variation in combs and are harder to sex; I had one I thought was female til it crowed. At this age I mostly look at stance (roos stand up straighter) and leg thickness. Actually my guess would be all pullets. You may be able to make some good guesses by behaviors, too, but they are guesses....

3. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks Dawn! I'm hoping most of them are pullets. [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cute babies and [​IMG]

It may still be a little early to tell. [​IMG]

5. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow, your website is great! Are Wyandotte chicks generally slower to get tail feathers compared to other breeds? This one only has a tuft for a tail feather at this stage but I think it is probably only 2.5 weeks old. I had to choose five chicks out of about 100 unsexed ones. Trying to increase my chances of pullets, I tried to choose the darker ones of each breed compared to another of the same breed, and with longer tail feathers. From some online articles I found, many breeds seemed to have a darker chick for the baby pullet compared to the roo and the baby pullet with more advanced feathering in comparison. It's just that we live in a suburb where we're only allowed six hens and no roosters! Last year I lovingly raised some blue Orpington chicks but they all turned out to be roosters and at night we had to sleep them inside in the shower cubical so the neighbors didn't hear the 4am crowing until they sold on Trade Me!!!! [​IMG]

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thank you! I haven't noticed them being slower than other breeds, but I do have 2 little Golden Wyandottes that don't have a tail yet, and 4 Barred Rocks that are the same age that DO have tails. I guess I haven't really paid that much attention to it! Usually I am raising them with other Wyandottes! It may be true though. [​IMG]

7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    My Wyandotte roo feathered out way faster then the girls wyandottes. I could tell he was a roo pretty early on as he got red wattles & comb quickly.

Roo - 5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Hen- 5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

8. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thank you Jasmine! The photos will be a great reference for me in a couple of weeks time. Your chicks are beautiful. How old are they now? We just had my 'dream' hen house delivered that I've wanted for a year now. It's a 3 metre tall A frame, walk in easy to clean style and the chicks love it in the day time. It's got a big door and a little door for free ranging plus 8 nest boxes & sleeps 24 hens but I'm only allowed six. I've been laying blue pavers around it and putting in some gardens which I'm sure they'll dig up! I used to have a Brown Shaver (rescue) hen but she used to lay her eggs on the beds of our guest house apartments when the housekeeper wasn't watching!!! My teenage son also woke to find one of her eggs in bed with him nestled in the folds of his duvet which he hadn't made the day before! Amazing he hadn't scrambled it in the night! I just love my new chicks.

9. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello from your neighbouring country [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ This one looks like the only boy [​IMG] ^

10. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks V Comb. My youngest three children are little Aussies cos they were born while we were there. Means we can start cheering the Aussies when the All Blacks are getting a thrashing! I think that chick's a boy too. I hope you're right about the others!!!:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by