Are my birds cold weather hearty types?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimboolah, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a little late to be asking this, since there is already snow on the ground, but I have an assortment of the following:
    RIR
    EE
    one black sexlink
    one giant cochin
    one white silkie bantam
    one wyandotte

Anyone in that group need anything special in the winter months? So far, so good, but I was watching them, all puffed up and wondered if I have any special needs birdies......

Thanks!

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I would think that the biggest issue would be the larger combs on some of your breeds. If they have adequate shelter and are healthy, they should be ok. Even my Seramas are outdoors without supplemental heat and it's been hovering in the mid 30's at nights here. Your birds should have acclimated to your temperatures. Seems like I read somewhere that you can rub vaseline on their combs, I don't know how that helps, but I read it somewhere. (Helpful, huh? [​IMG] )
    Best wishes!

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Check the Henderson breed chart [​IMG] http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

In
    the second to the last column, it'll tell you about hardiness. Sex-link almost certainly isn't in there, though, being a cross. If you knew what the cross was (and I've seen the common crosses listed around here, I just don't remember them) you could probably get a good idea of the hardiness from the parents. [​IMG]

4. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmm, I don't know where my sexlink came from, or from what........she is pretty, tho! Thanks for the link to the Henderson chart. Seems I am in pretty good shape except for the ginormous combs.......i see a goopy exercise with vaseline in my future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by