1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my birds true Ameraucana or Easter eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sherris Backyard Beauties, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Are my Ameraucana's true Ameraucana or Easter eggers? Also can you tell if the brown one is a male or female? Has not laid an egg yet! My RIR looks like a chicken has been starting to breed her but I don't think the brown one is a roo! It's just strange she's losing feathers as if I have a male!
    Here's a couple pics!
    [​IMG]Is Brownie a male or female?
    [​IMG]My white Americauna Female
    [​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    First they all look to be girls.

The black and gold or brown are EEs.

The one you have labeled as white is actually a Splash.

Matt

3. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    My brown one, I thought she was a hen, haven't seen an egg yet! My hubby's been telling me she's a roo! I haven't heard a crow out of her, Though! My Splash is named Whitey! So I'm just used to calling her white. Now I need to find out why my red is losing her feathers on her sides. I'm puzzled because she has went through molting a couple months ago. I have no roo's in my flock. Could it be possible the other chickens are plucking her?

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Ameracuana and Easter Eggers are the same is do believe. Both lay the colored eggs.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:easter eggers are mutts, ameraucana are a recognized APA breed.

all of them look like pullets, the browns are EE and the splash may be an ameraucana. My Ameraucana are almost 6 months and still aren't laying, although the roos keep trying to grab them [​IMG]

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:easter eggers are mutts, ameraucana are a recognized APA breed.

all of them look like pullets, the browns are EE and the splash may be an ameraucana. My Ameraucana are almost 6 months and still aren't laying, although the roos keep trying to grab them [​IMG]

I think your splash might be an Ameraucana as well.

Krista, it is a good sign when the boys start grabbing the girls. They usually know something is up with those girlies. Look for eggs in the next week to two.

My Ameraucanas hatched at the end of July finally started laying.[​IMG]

7. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Most likely, your hens are a little pecky at your RIR, but sometimes hens 'mount' other hens, and that could be a possiblity. Whatever it is, if it is pecking, try a spray called BluKote or a FlockBlock. We have both and while our hens are pecked up, it has not reduced, but it hasn't progressed either.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

The Black/Brown one is definitely an EE. The white one appears to be a Splash of some sort. The comb looks a little off but the shank color appears to be good. My guess is that you got them all from the same place and therefore they are all EE's.

Here is a good rule of thumb: If you get your birds from a hatchery or feed store they are in all probability an EE. If you want a true Ameraucana then you need to go to a breeder.

I breed true Wheaten/Blue Wheaten & hopefully soon Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas. They all lay blue eggs. I'm on the Breeders List at www.ameraucana.org

There's nothing wrong with having EE's as long as you know what you are getting and what you have.

God Bless,

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Here is a good rule of thumb: If you get your birds from a hatchery or feed store they are in all probability an EE. If you want a true Ameraucana then you need to go to a breeder

Good advice. You also have to watch out for "Ameraucana breeders" on the auctions sites. Some of them have EE'rs, and some have Ameraucanas that they bought from breeders but then put all the colors together just making more Easter Eggers.​

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The only one that looks to me like it could possibly be a "true" Ameraucana is the splash.

When she starts laying eggs if they are not BLUE it's an EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by