Are my Black Sex links all female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lynchristine, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lynchristine

lynchristine New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    I have three Black Sex Link Pullets from Ideal Poultry (RIR / Barred Plymouth Rock). As chicks they looked the same until their feathers started to come in. Then one was always the odd ball. They were hatched 8/28/13 so are seven weeks old right now . Two are nearly identical with black and brown. The other is nearly all black with specks of white and some brown feathers. Pics attached. Please help me determine if all three are hens or not. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. georgiao333

georgiao333 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    sex links are known to be different colours for their genders so i would say you have two of one gender and one of the other

3. lynchristine

lynchristine New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    That's what I was thinking too. The hatchery said they believe them to all be female but they look so different, so I'm concerned. Plus I don't know which would be which if two are one gender and the third is the other gender.

4. lynchristine

lynchristine New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawaii

That's what I was thinking too. The hatchery said they believe them to all be female but they look so different, so I'm concerned. Plus I don't know which would be which if two are one gender and the third is the other gender.

5. georgiao333

Oct 20, 2013
    yeah, have you contacted the hatchery? that might be a good idea, they should be able to work something out seeing as its probably their mistake :)

6. georgiao333

Oct 20, 2013
    have you had a look on them for any sign of spurs? or is it too early for that? :)

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

You will know you have a rooster for sure long before you notice anything much with the spurs.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    BSL males look like barred rocks. Females have differing amounts of brown. You have females.

ETA: As chicks, BSL females are all black where males have a white dot on their heads. That is what enables them to be easily sexed at hatch.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The dark bird is a BSL pullet for sure. I don't think the lighter bird is a black sex link at all. It's some other breed. As far as what it is--I have no clue. Straight comb and willow legs--maybe an Easter Egger that didn't inherit the blue egg gene. As of right now, it looks more like a pullet, but that's subject to change if those red patches on the shoulders develop more.

Yes, contact Ideal since that's clearly not a black sex link--but neither of them is a BSL cockerel, which would be a barred bird.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm curious why you think it is "clearly not a black sex link." While most BSL females are predominantly black with some brown on the neck and chest, they are not all that way. As a hybrid bird, they do not have a standard and their coloration can vary greatly as to how much black vs. brown-red they have. I have had BSL girls that were almost all black as well as others who had a great deal of brown like the ones pictured above. Nothing about them says to me that they are anything other than what the hatchery claims was sent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by