Are my blue copper Marans Blue or Splash?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickGirl6, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    I have three Marans and I'm not sure if they are blue or splash? This is clover and is a blue I think.[​IMG]
    This is Iris and I think shes a splash?
    [​IMG]
    This is Lilac and I have no clue if shes a blue or a splash?[​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I think you have one blue and two splashes but thats me I'm definatly not a Marans expert by no means!!! LOL

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think they're all splash, they look too light to be blue. The one with the random black feathers is definitely splash, if the others have that then you know they are.

ETA: Unless it's just a camera trick, I'm seeing random black feathers on all of them. One way you can know for sure is to breed them with a black copper...all the chicks should be blue.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    The blue gene can and does express itself in various different shades of blue, some blues can be so dark that they appear black and it can express in the lightest shade of blue that you may think it was more a silvery color than blue. Blue is also a leaky gene and will allow leakage as you see in your birds that show a couple of random darker blue feathers on the body.
    The blue gene acts like a diluter (not sure if diluter is even a word, but it works [​IMG] ) gene, one copy of the blue gene will dilute black to blue, 2 copies of the blue gene dilutes the blue even further to Splash that usually will express itself in a white color feather with random flecks of various shades of blue feathers through out the body of the bird. When a splash bird is placed next to a genetically white bird (such as a leghorn) the two colors that appear white will look completely different. The splash variety allow a person to best see the leaky traits of the blue gene with its random blue feathers.

I would say the first 2 birds are Blue Copper (the second being a very light blue) and the last bird I am also inclined to say is a blue, but , on the other hand if one of them was a splash it would be the last bird photo'd.

edited to add a photo of one of my splash Marans pullets and one of my blue Marans pullets, for me it is easier to see than to read. [​IMG]
    I also tossed in a photo of a dark blue Marans pullet and my blue copper rooster that appears black so you can see how many shades the blue can express in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I think they are all blue. Splash looks like this:

[​IMG]

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I also wanted to tell you that if you should ever find that you grow tired of that first pullet, just pack her bags and send her packin' on over to Washington. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    I wasn't sure couse my roo is so dark and they look so light. He's the one in my avatar. Here's the same pic just bigger, the other one in the pic is my blue cochin roo.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by