Are my Blue Swedish good quality?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LostGosling, Jul 14, 2011.

1. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    I've been wanting to breed and show my pair of young Blue Swedish ever since I bought them. I'm no expert on judging the breed, so I'm asking the masses if my birds would stand a chance at the White River Show in September. What do you guys think? Do you think that I might even be able to use them as foundation stock in a breeding program? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Whisper my Drake. He has two white primary feathers on each wing, which I've heard is a good thing.

[​IMG]
    This is Mattie and Whisper together. Mattie is on the left. She also has the white primary feathers.

I will be posting more pictures later when my camera batteries are charged! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    If I were you I would breed from these two. Showing them is also a great idea and I would definitely recommend it. It is very helpful to talk to the judge once the judging is finished. Ask him or her to talk to you about your birds and to show you their strengths and weaknesses. You will get a lot of great feedback this way that will help you in your breeding. Judges are usually extremely happy to be asked to talk about your birds with you. Just listen politely, ask questions and take it all as a learning experience. You do it to learn and to show off the breed.

Here are a few of my own thoughts [​IMG]

Type (shape and size): They look to be a good size (not too small) which is a plus. It'd be nice if they were a bit deeper in the body - a bit more 'stocky' looking, rather than long and lean. Heads are not too bad - bills could be a bit less sloped down. You don't want anything that reminds you of a Runner head. They are not standing too upright, which is good. When they stand they shouldn't be parallel with the ground but not too upright either - about an angle of 20 degrees between the ground and the underside. They looks fine to me in this respect.
    Colour: A nice, even, rich blue. Not too much black, which is good.
    Markings: Having two white primaries is better then good - it's excellent! This is a big plus [​IMG] I wish i had the same in my birds. Bibs are obviously broken (blotchy) and go up the neck a bit too far. But the bibs don't go too far underneath the body which is good. A little white on the face in the drake which is not ideal but it is not alot and your duck looks better as far as this goes (they are better than some of mine). Overall, the bibs could be a lot worse and I would not be put off breeding with them just because of the bibs. They may still produce offspring with neat bibs. I have a drake with a bib that is not much better and I will be using him in breeding.

Overall, you should breed with these two but I personally would also be looking to bring in some unrelated Swedish (maybe a couple more ducks - blue or black) that are deeper in the body and also have some number of white primaries. Go for good type in the birds you buy next - solid birds with deeper bodies and more rounded heads. I assume that these two birds are related and maybe from the same hatch so that also makes it important to bring in other birds (in my opinion). Inbreeding can preserve strengths (like the two white flights) but can also perpetuate weaknesses (in appearance and health). Anyway, all the above is just my opinion and I'm sure that other people will be happy to share their views too [​IMG]

I hope these two produce some nice babies for you [​IMG]

3. LostGosling

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank-you Cocoa! [​IMG] Here are some more pics I took yesterday of them and my old Magpie duck. I had a horrible incident with a weasel a few weeks ago that left my Drake with a big gaping wound on his neck, so any purple in his breast feathers is some staining from the Blu-Kote and Maxi Pads that I used to heal him. I may not get to show Whisper this year, but if he keeps healing like he is and molts the purple stains out I may be able to next year! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This pic is a good breast shot of both ducks.

[​IMG]
    Mattie with E.B. just to her left.

[​IMG]
    Whisper does look kinda Runnerish in this pic! [​IMG] I'll definately have to see if the White River Sales Barn has a more typey female for me to add to my flock.

[​IMG]
    Another good breast shot. [​IMG]

4. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Ps. Forgot a few things!

Tails are good - should be generally in line with the body but tilted up a little bit. Tilted up a fraction more wouldn't hurt. edit - that comment was made in relation to the first lot of photos. Tails look great in the second lot of photos.
    Leg colour is good - browny orange.
    Bills: The drake's bill is good as it is a nice solid blue. The duck's bill has some pale colour mixed through it which isn't ideal - you want a solid colored bill. Just select for solid colored bills in the offspring.

5. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Ok, just saw your extra photos! These photos show off their type better. I'd now say that they do look pretty good type-wise. They do have a nice, even depth to the bodies (I'm especially looking at the pic of them walking along with your Magpie). It's still worth seeking a couple more ducks with good type since you don't want to go backwards there. Type is just as important as markings with this breed.

Has your drake got a bit of white round his eyes? If he does, try to keep only offspring without any white round the eyes. That's something to avoid.

These guys look like a really nice start [​IMG] Just select the best from the offspring and you're off and running!

Your drake that was injured will moult out the purple. Hopefully his injury won't end up being noticeable. You have obviously done a wonderful job of caring for him. I would show him anyway, and the duck. Put them both in and see how you go [​IMG]

6. LostGosling

Jul 11, 2011
    Thank-you so much for everything! [​IMG] Whisper does have a little white around his eyes, so I'll keep in mind what you said when I start breeding.

7. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I love threads like these, thanks for posting (to both of you).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by