Are my buff orpingtons actually buff orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by K813ZRA, Jun 11, 2016.

1. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I ordered 18 buff orpington chicks from Cackle and received 19 the next day. While they all came happy and healthy I am not sure that they are all what they are supposed to be. Most of them look like photos on the net but there are three that while they look just like the others they have one small difference, a black spot on their heads. Now I will still enjoy my chickens and my wife is already in love with them but I am a bit disappointed that these may not be what I ordered. I know that they are hatchery stock so maybe there are some genetics in the birds that should not be or I simply got a few of the wrong thing. I just hope that at least one of the correct chicks is a male grrr. (I ordered 3 roos and 15 pullets.)

[​IMG]

Two of the ones with black stand out in this photo but I am no photographer. I can take an individual picture if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The hatchery marked the males. The three with the black marks on their heads are the males. Most hatcheries will do this when you specifically order males and females. Its just a washable marker they use, it won't hurt the chicks and will come off when they loose their chick fluff.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2, looks like you got what your ordered to me. Super cute!

4. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    My wife asked if they were the males so I guess she was on to something. Thank you both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by