Are my button quail male or female?

skyape38

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Baltimore
44218_dscf0900.jpg

there names are Splish and Splash. (Splash is thedarker spotted one)

Quote:
Not sure about their sex but I do know that buttons are not perching birds and having to walk on the bars in your cage is difficult and uncomfortable for them. They should be in pine shavings or some type of substrate that will not allow the feces to collect on their feet. In other words, they should not be on newspaper, etc. either. I have had two males for years and they do very well in my finch aviary on pine shavings. Your birds are very pretty. Mine are both dark, one with the white bib and one without. Good luck getting them sexed!
idunno.gif

I agree, both females. If they were males they would have red vent feathers. Plus there isn't a male coloring in buttons that is marked like that. You have one redbreasted (golden and black in the back) and one either wild or golden pearl, I get those two confused! (in the front).

The one in the front might be a mix of redbreasted and something else, but I'm even worse at deciphering the mixed colored buttons!
gig.gif

Last edited:
I would say the one in the front is a cinnamon red breasted if over 6 weeks it is a hen. If you turn the bird over and look at the vent and there are no reddish feathers it is for sure a hen. The one in the back is a red breasted hen.

Thanks for the replys they are about 1 1/2 years old, Ive only had them for 3 months. When I got them there feet were caked in feces and they were losing their feathers like crazy, I cleaned there feet off changed there diet they are both doing well, I was told they were female and great egg layers but I havent seen any eggs in the 3 months that Ive had them.
I have some pads that I put down in the cage so there feet dont go threw the bars but they were being cleaned and I was waiting for them to dry. I also put critter litter in the cage,

I had a chocolate button hen that passed away a few months ago she laid eggs everyday.

lol it seems all my birds are female from my parakeets to the cockatiel.

i would also like to know how can you distinct from male to female :x cause my color isnt the same.

Last edited:
The easy way to sex buttons is by the vent feathers if the are reddish it is a male. Its dose not work in white buttons then you have to count on that air sound that they make

Back
Top Bottom