are my chick going to be warm enough?

nstilwater

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
sorry i do not have a pic i will post one tomorrow, my i built a brooder today in my coop, i used some built in shelves, it is four feet long and two feet wide, and 18 inches tall, at one end i cut a hole that is 1 foot wide and 18 inches long, i put the light there and coverd the hole with chicken wire so chick cant hit light or get out, then i enclosed that area with ply wood and and cut a hole for a door to get to the 'run' that has three wood sides and a wire side, the light is not touching any part of the wood, it is clamped and wired in three different directions to secure hooks and entirely enclosed away from any chickens it is about 30 degrees out and no door on the coop, although it has a ppredator proof run and guard dogs, so it does get a draft and there are a few cracks in it, i used reclaimed wood, wire and screws, i checked on them through the top where the light is and they were just milling around in the nest area eating and drinking a few were resting no one was huddled, they ahd been in there a few hours , i put the food and water in the nest area for tonight since they are used to having it all the time, they are two weeks old and a mix of future egg layers and slow growing broilers, they did not seem chilled at all,

sorry that was lengthy, do you think they will be warm enough

I'm sure they're fine. I like to have cool space at least after the first week.
Having a heat source and plenty of room to get away is just like a broody. They warm up under mom and then run around in the cool a while. I think they're healthier that way.

Back
Top Bottom