1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Are My Chickaboos Idiots?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maurerwerks, Sep 8, 2010.

1. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    My chickens are now 12 weeks old. They have been in their coop/run since they were 3 weeks old. Each night I look out at dusk and they have taken their little fuzz-butts inside the coop and are all bedded down in a chicken pile, so I go out and shut up the coop and everyone is happy. I've been waiting for the night that they are roosted instead of piled.
    Well, last night I kept looking out and kept seeing them all piled up in the corner of the run. Finally, my DH and I went out and looked and here are two of them roosted in the coop and the rest are in their nightly chicken pile, but still out in the run! [​IMG]
    We spent about 10 minutes running around after chickens and carrying them to the coop and stuffing them in the hen door. Cyril, the rooster, was last, being the hardest to catch, but we finally got them all inside and shut up for the night. I was worried that maybe there was a reason they were afraid of the coop, so I went down an hour or two later with the flashlight, but nine of them were up on the roost and three were still piled up in a corner. [​IMG] Everything looked secure. This morning everybody was waiting at the hen door just like nothing had ever happened.
    Were they just afraid of those two intrepid chickens who decided to roost? Are they just idiots? [​IMG]
    Tell me I'm not going to be chasing chickens every night! [​IMG]

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Mine do a combination. Some are side by side on the roost bar with my older girls on a shelf in a chicken pile. They are all in the coop though. I was wondering if you have a light on in the coop? We do and as soon as it starts getting dark, the go to the light. You may try that or unfortunately you may need to keep stuffing them in the door for awhile, until they get the picture. It's usually chicken see chicken do so they may follow your two intrepid girls and roost on the bar on their own. I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by