Are my chickens barren??!! UPDATE! A Huge Egg PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EmsChooks, Aug 4, 2010.

1. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    Ok so I have been incredibly patient, well kind of, and I have had "special chats" with my ladies, they are aware that no eggs = chicken curry, however there is just no getting through to them. What to do??

My Bluebell and Goldline (both 27 weeks) been laying for two weeks now, most days only had one day when neither laid.
    My White Leghorn and Nera (also 27 weeks give or take a week) hasn't laid a thing. Both are red faced with big combs etc, the Nera squats and has been for about 3 weeks.
    My Speckledy (26 weeks) is red faced, large, doesn't squat and still no eggs
    My BCM (26 weeks) still has next to no comb, black face, still the smallest of the bunch, doesn't squat or make a sound but is and always the friendliest.

They are all on bearts layers pellets, each day I throw them a small amount of corn and sometimes feed them scraps. They have garlic in their water whch is changed daily, a lovely coop to sleep in and plenty of space to roam within a large avery which is on sand. They have constant access to oystershell and grit and once a month they have acv added to their water for a week at a time. They have been wormed with flubenvet, I have de mited them and use DE in their bedding and on their perches. They all seem well now.
    Our weather is fine, I'm in England and we have temperatures in the 20's.
    I am sure they are not egg eaters, no evidence anywhere.
    What am I doing wrong??
    Please can anyone advise me my patience is fading [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try cutting out the treats, scraps and corn. Only give them the layer feed and veggies. Any chance they are hiding the eggs somewhere in a secert hidden nest? I have had chickens that didnt start laying until 28 weeks. Some chickens just start later than other.

Good luck!

3. EmsChooks

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    Ok thanks for that I shall cut out the corn and scraps. When I went to get more layers pellets last week I mentioned this issue and the guy suggested I try a higher protein feed, so now they are on layers pellets but 2 % higher in protein. He told me he'd put his breeders on it and he had more eggs than ever. Still no effect on my naughty girls:rolleyes:

4. EmsChooks

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    oh and I forgot to say that they aren't hiding eggs anywhere I have thoroughly searched they entire area, there aren't many placed to hide them as they are in an avery, but I looked under their coop and i the surrounding area too [​IMG]
    What I don't get is some people have their chickens laying at 18 weeks or less, I have 6 chickens and 4 are still not laying at 27, coincidence or am I doing something wrong?

5. EmsChooks

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    I should complain more often, just checked the chooks and low and behold what do I see bt my Nera stood in the nest box over a very large egg. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sure its hers as it was hot. will try and upload a pic if I can work out how. Now come on my other three girls, its about time to watch and learn [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This mornings find from my Nera

[​IMG]

Todays egg in the centre surrounded by the eggs from my Goldline and Blubell

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Wow! Congratulations. That's quite a load. [​IMG]

7. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    CONGRATS!! [​IMG] those are some beautiful eggs!!! now i totaly have egg-envy!! [​IMG]

8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by