1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chickens cannibals?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DivaHick, Nov 19, 2008.

1. DivaHick

DivaHick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I posted the other day, but after reading those, I know that I definately have a pecking problem. We've only had these guys since saturday (wednesday now) I'm trying to add pics.

We're going to put in a fake wall to separate the three girls who don't have any bare spots. We'll see if they start pecking each other or if the other seven heal. Tonight we're going to go out and buy pine tar and try that. Plus I read somewhere that adding vinegar to their water will help. We put a head of lettuce and two pumpkin halves in there. I think I'll also grab some sunflower seeds to scatter. We let them free range everyday.

Is there anything else we can do?

OK, I can't figure out how to attach pics.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are they pecking the other chickens until they are bloody?

Chickens will eat another chicken alive if they get a chance. the site of the red bloody area sets them off as they are attracted to it.

Or are they plucking feathers and leaving the other chickens naked?

3. DivaHick

DivaHick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I haven't actually caught anyone pecking at all! That's why I was so confused. I think there are bloody spots on the chickens where the feathers have come out. I would say it was just feather picking but the one poor girl looks very scabby and naked like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by