Are my chickens chicken?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rughooker, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:cdThis is my first try at this website, so please have some patience with me,ok? A few weeks ago, something crept into my coop and killed 16 peeps. Now none of my chickens will go into their house at night. They are free to roam around our 3 acre property and go by themselves into the coop at dusk. Now I have 12 chickens roosting in my maple trees (even when it storms). Please help me. Winter isn't that far away and Ohio winters can be very cold and wet! Thank you. rughooker

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    check the coop. clean it, remove any trace of the attack. if they want in they will go in. im very sorry

jenny

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    pen them back in it for a few days and dont let them out

4. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thanks, guys for your help. Me and Miles(husband) are going to re -enforce the floor and fence. I'll post pics when the coop is remodeled!

5. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    you dont want them roosting in trees build an inclosed run

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's classic conditioning - they were spooked in the coop and now associate the coop with that experience.

I agree with the poster who said to put them in the coop and leave them in it for a few days. Give them a reason to go in there - treats? scratch? whatever it takes.

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I agree-try to get them in and spoil them for a few days so they can inprint on a nice place again.

8. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I've heard a week or two at least I am in the process of recooping my 2 year old(she was traumatized in the pen) she slept in cedar until about 5 days ago and she is doing great but if I don't get her in the pen she's back in the cedar.

9. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    What part of Ohio are you in Rughooker?

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    This may be a silly question, but is the coop closed up after all the chickens are in at night? I was not clear on that from the description.

I always shine a flashlight into the coop and have a look around before the hens start coming in at night ~ just in case. It's a horrible thought, that something might sneak in and be waiting for them!

Good luck on the coop reinforcements.

Jen in TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by