Are my chickens cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Don Jr, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    It will be in the 20's tonight and i do not have heat in the chicken coop! Can they servive those temps?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    If you block off any drafts, maybe give them some straw to hunker down in , they'll be fine.

3. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    Thank you very much!

4. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I don't have heat in my coop It's been down to 10 degrees here so far and they have been just fine. Just be sure there aren't any drafts going through the coop. I leave my pop door open that goes out into their run open, but that's at the floor level and facing the East. I probably won't put a red heat lamp in the coop this year unless it gets below zero for a few days in a row.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm insulated but no heat. Some folks build huddle boxes for severe temp drops. Draft elimation is more important though and if your vents can be partly or wholly closed for that night...

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    We are negative 8 here right now, and my girls are outside! I opened the door and they tumbled out like always. When it is this cold they tend to huddle together in a box that faces south and is partially enclosed, but they also go out and peck around.

Animals do need MORE feed when it is this darn cold, and check to keep water a couple of times a day. They are doing fine and are laying eggs too, have to be quick to the box, or the eggs will freeze. Hope this doesn't last long. mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by