Are my chickens getting sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jr1999, Nov 22, 2013.

1. jr1999

jr1999 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I bought 9 barred rock pullets that are around 8 months old, and I have had them for about 3 weeks. This is my first time raising chickens so just bear with me:) A few days ago I came home in the afternoon to a good amount of blood on 2 nesting box walls, and the coop wall. Of course I was alarmed, but all the girls seemed fine and upon closer inspection there were a couple of them with blood on their heads and combs. Another one seems to be balding around her comb. I do not know if this related or not, but I could hear one breathing as well, kinda a stuffy nose sound. There has been a little sneezing going on and another one seems to have dried mucus in her nostril.
    Needless to say, no one is lethargic, they are all eating, drinking and acting completely normal. Should I be concerned or not?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Be concerned about any respiratory issue.
    The blood is probably unrelated, perhaps from fighting or a predator.
    Chickens can get a host of respiratory problems, usually viral, bacterial or fungal.
    The best way to avoid that is with big ventilation. I recommend 1 sq. ft. per bird.

3. jr1999

jr1999 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    They are housed in a coop that is made for 12-15 birds, they have a large fenced in run area, and there is ventilation in the coop at all times. So I know ventilation and overcrowding should not be an issue. Since they are acting completely normal it throws me off! Should I be doing anything or just wait and see how it progresses?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You may want to temporarily separate birds with symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by