Are my chickens getting too cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lordvoldemort, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lordvoldemort

lordvoldemort Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    Ok, I live in South Ga and the weather here's been getting pretty cold at night. I've had about 11 chicks die in the past 3 days. They were all born in September and had a tough bout with cocci around 2-4 weeks of age. There has not been any signs of illness, stools are fine, everyone's acting normal. Well starting Monday morning, I've had dead chicks every day.

I recently moved them out of their smaller pen into a bigger one that is more open, but still had a light (150 watts) with them because several are super small old english, a few seramas and d'uccles. I lost an old english first, then I think 1 or 2 d'uccles and yesterday morning lost about 5 total. A few of the ones that didn't die were acting 'weird' (standing around, not moving much or lying face first on the ground), so I rushed them into their old pen under a big heat light. They recover and act normal but are dead the next morning. Yesterday I lost a grown Sebright roo as well, he died on his perch.

Everyone of these chicks dies the same: wings spread out, head face first on the ground, looks like the go to sleep and don't wake up. The smallest of the chicks I put back in the small pen have not been acting weird at all, so is this the cold or should I be concerned about something else? I only lost 2 chickens last winter to the weather, but did not have any bantams then either. Oh, I am feeding them Purina Starter/Grower. As I said before, no other signs of illness whatsoever. The standard size chicks in the pen with them do not seem to be affected at all. They are Langshans and barn yard mix chicks that I got at the same time as the bantams. And no they all get along fine, the Langshans are small for the breed (purchased from a hatchery) and the bantams are their best friends.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Im here in central Pa. It's getting into the teens at night now. I have a 250watt bulb heater with 2 bantams and 4 RIR's under it. They seem to be just fine. They prefer to be out of the coop until the last second of day light. It does kind of sound like your little one's may be freezing. Maybe try a bulb like mine? I got it at Lowes for $5. Good Luck!

3. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    Yeah I prob do need a stronger light, I just lost a Langshan that hadn't been acting right all day. She was very small, only 3/4 the size of the bigger ones. I hope the cold is what is getting to them. I haven't had any problems since their cocci trouble.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Other than the adult, how old were the chicks, and how cold has it been getting at night??? Honestly, unless they're quite young and it got REALLY cold, I'd guess that some disease is going around. Are they staying huddled around the bulb you put out there as if they're freezing??? Or are they kind of going about their chick business??

5. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    For the most part they are under the bulb. They 11 and 13 weeks old but are small for their age. I only recently moved them out of their draft free enclosed pen, maybe a week ago. It has been less than 30 degrees here since they started dying. My smallest chick is probably half the size of my grown oegb hen and surprisingly has been ok throughout all this, but then again I kept her in the small enclosed pen. I am going to get a stronger light tomorrow. I haven't wanted to put any higher wattage in the one I have because it's maxed out. If possible I may try to get one tonight.

6. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    By 30 degrees I mean the low at night.

7. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Are they able to get off the ground, to roost at night? I don't think they could be warm enough if they are staying on the ground...I have only seen a sick chicken sleep on the ground. Just a thought. Good luck!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you did say something about moving them out of their draft free enclosed pen. Is the one their in now not draft free? if not thats probably your problem

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I totally agree; I didn't pay attention to the "larger, more open" pen description. Is their current pen draft free? There's no cold air actually blowing on them?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    I stapled plastic around 3 sides (North, East and West) but ran out of staples before I could finish on the south side. They can get off the ground, but so far only 2 of them show interest in roosting. Ok, so tomorrow I will definately get more staples and finish putting the plastic around the sides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by