1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chickens ill?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Supercare, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Supercare

Supercare New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Hi,

My chickens were free range but then they started to flee to my neighbours so I caged them.
    their coop is large.
    Ever since then, 2 of them stopped eating and drinking. are they going to die?

Ziona

2. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Well, if they arent consuming ANY water or food, probably, yes. You shoul investigate further, and decide on an action plan.

3. Supercare

Supercare New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
    It is clear that it is due to the fact that they are cooped. Unfortunately I cannot set them free since my neighbour complains. So what can I do to prevent their death?
    Do you have any suggestions? I failed to mention that they stopped laying and just sit it the laying basket looking sad.

Thanks

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    do you have an outdoor penned in area for them to get outside? would help.
    How old are they? are they broody? They should not stave themselves because they are inside, complain yes. Try some treats or electrolyte solution to simulate their appetite

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Try giving wet mash or dried oats. My girls love wet mash. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by