Are my chickens Just in love with me or do they just do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mario49, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    [​IMG] My barred rock chickens are as friendly as they can be and there are about 4-5 hens that like to jump up on my arm and lay down and roost. Awesome i know![​IMG] They have done this since they were about 13 weeks old and now they are 20 weeks and still doing it.!
    Do they love me od do they not... That is the question?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    They love you! [​IMG]

Mine don't jump up on me. They get excited to see me because I'm bringing treats, but they don't want me to hold them or pet them. [​IMG]

3. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    cool![​IMG] when i go into the hous the chickens are always there waiting even my roo roney! but he wont let me pet him but he lets me get neer em'. lol. I just sit down on my bench and hold my arm straight out about 2 1/2 feet high so they do nip at my hands and 1 will jump and roost on me. it lets me pet it but only 3 do let me:hit out of the 20 sum that i have of hens. I know that it doesn't want me to pet it by it makes a weird small cry and thats when i let it go. ! cool idnit it!

4. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    it actually means they want to eat you

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Lol mine do that too especially Bonnie by polish she loves jumping up on my shoulder though when im not paying attention scares the crap outa me. [​IMG]

6. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    [​IMG] lol very funny aiwetir! ..... seriously? HAHAHA! [​IMG]

7. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    i let mine jump on my arm and they jump without me noticing them to and i scare them and i dont want them to stop!

8. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:i used to have a five month old that would do that but she died about three weeks ago. [​IMG]

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Cornish will jump up on my back while I'm bent over getting feed, then walk up to my shoulder or the top of my head. The kids think it's hilarious! [​IMG] She likes to be carried around, too. I love the cooing they make when they are snuggled down real good. [​IMG]

Sounds like your chickens really love you! Mine won't do it with anyone else but me!

Shelly

10. dancesWchickens

dancesWchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Davis, CA
    They love you of course! You raised them, right? Even full grown, my hens still try to roost on me. When I stand next to the roost at dusk, they fight over who gets to be closest to my head. I have to be careful tho - sometimes the hens decide I look tasty and will take a peck at my lip or eye. My roos eventually started attacking my head when they flew up on my arm though, and that had to stop. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by