Are my chickens just "yawning" or do they actually have gape worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undine, Aug 11, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    So i was moving my month old chicks into a different brooder bin that is clear because i needed to change their bedding. Then i noticed my EE all of a sudden yawns... and i thought "ooo just a yawn D:." After the first yawn, she did it again after every.. 10 secs or so for like 6 times. I dont know if shes still doing it because i just now moved into my room so i can post this LOL. They havent been out on the grass yet, but tmrow they will be..was she yawning or could it be worms?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she keeps on with the yawning (gaping) she may have gapeworms. Put "gapeworms" in the search thread and you'll probably learn more than you ever wanted to. You can stick a cotton swab gently to the back sides of the throat _ don't lose the cotton swab) and see if little red worms are on it. I don't know what it is treated with.

3. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thankk youuuuu, ill try thatt. DO you know how how far in i should stick the q-tip in? :eek:

4. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Okay so i didn't try the q tip test yet haha and sorry for asking but i couldn't find what i was looking for from the search. When chickens first get gape worms, is it very obvious? Like do they start wheezing, and gaping the first days they get it or does that come after if gape worms aren't treated? Would they wheeze constantly through-out the day as if it was "normal" like breathing? Also, since the day they have the gape worms.. how long do chickens live for when they aren't treated?

My chickens are eating and drinking normally,, but sometimes when they re chilling laying down, one chicken (always a different chicken each time sometimes)would breathe with her beak open without any wheezing noises, and when theyre not breathing like that they would also sometimes "gape". They re a month old now, but Ive seen them do that since the first week. It didn't seem normal to me, but i thought they were just either too hot or thirsty so i didn't think it was something very bad. They dont always do this, ive noticed them do it when theyre either laying/sitting down, or when its just really hot outside. The yawning/gaping would come at random times.

"usually spending much of their time with eyes closed and head drawn back against the body" Ive never seen my chickens do this during the day. I move them back inside the house always at around 10-11pm soooo yea lol its pretty chilly out there, and thatss when they would do that.. not always but sometimes when i wake them up from their naps haha and im assuming because theyre tired and cold? Oh gosh, im getting more and more paranoid as i go on typing this.. =(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by