are my chickens molting?

ccarver80

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Squaw gap ND
I have 23 hens (almost 1 year old) and for over a month now I'm only collecting 6-10 eggs a day. I was getting 15-18 a day but since the warmer weather kicked in I saw a HUGE drop in egg production.

I checked all over and there not laying anywhere else....

There are up and downs in the laying season, few hens lay consistently through. Some do go through neck molts in spring which can halt laying, others go broody. Also any stress will halt it too, being frightened, too hot, too cold, not enough water, and bad feed are a few.

OK thank you! My leg horns are laying constantly i get my 2 white eggs a day every day ... everyone else is kinda speratic. .. what about switching feed brands? I usually go back and forth what ever is cheapest at the time

I personally feed an all flock or a non medicated grower to get some extra protein, it really helps to get them molting quicker and to resume laying, and to optimize my production, since switching I think my birds are doing much better than they did in the layer. I provide a dish of oyster shells for calcium. Also try to limit lower protein extras like corn.

If eggs are your ultimate goal than always keep egg laying breeds. Those like barred rocks, Orpingtons and Australorp to name a few are dual purpose, originally bred for eggs and meat so they don't often lay as well or consistently as leghorns. Others like Ancona and sex links are bred for egg production.

OK thank you! My leg horns are laying constantly i get my 2 white eggs a day every day ... everyone else is kinda speratic. .. what about switching feed brands?
I usually go back and forth what ever is cheapest at the time
That could be part of the problem...switching and cheapest.
Can't expect consistent production without providing good and consistent nutrition.

Do you free range?

Last edited:
Yea they live in a camper and have a good 15 yard x 8 yard run
They may be laying out in the range area......Lock them in the coop for a few days with some fake eggs in the nests to rehabituate them to using the nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom